Highlighted
Chrisadell
2 Iron

4 beeps while booting after successful HDD replacement

Hi there My Inspiron drives me crazy since I got it back from the technicien who placed a new HDD.

It now reboots every time it receives power supply, without hitting the power button and even without opening the screen AND every time it boots, it makes a series of 4 loud disturbing beeps. I can't stand that anymore. Too loud.

Okay it still has no battery, because I still couldn't find a supplier able to ship it. But It had no battery before and wasn't beeping like this, and it did not start before if I didn't hit the power button.

It results that even if there is a short power outage at night, the Dell will reboot on its own and start beeping strongly (several series of 4 beeps until it finished the booting process which is successful after a while) for a few minutes, enough to wake up the whole neighborhood...

I run a full hardware diagnostic, either online on the Dell support website and on the device. No issue other than the failing batterie. What can I do either to avoid the reboot, or the beeping, or maybe both?

Other than that it functions normally, except the windows start button that is not working anymore and causes some inconvenience.

Model: Inspiron 14 - 3437

Thanks in advance.

photo_2019-01-19_14-33-16.jpg

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
JOcean
4 Ruthenium

Re: 4 beeps while booting after successful HDD replacement

Ok, 4 beeps has nothing to do with the battery and hopefully it is not connected to the HDD work. 4 Beeps indicate a memory error. Now since it has been doing it since you had the HDD replaced, open up the system and check to see that the RAM is fully inserted in the SODIMM slots. Better yet, remove the RAM and reinsert it making sure it is fully in the slot. If that does not help then assuming you have more than 1 RAM module, remove one module and try booting. If that does not help, remove that module and try it in the other slot. If that does not help do the same procedure with the other RAM module. Just wondering, did the tech increase RAM for you while the system was being serviced? When you ran full system diagnostics, was it from F12 when the system booted up?

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS Z170K i5 6600
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
Chrisadell
2 Iron

Thanks @JOcean for your reply.

Indeed I have 2 RAM modules, but they are not new.

If I am courageous, I will try to boot the machine with one or the other module, the thing is, this peeping really makes me sick. I had banned this laptop into closet where it couldn't make any noise anymore, but today I had to use it again, my old replacement computer having issues.

F12 diagnostic did not show any issues besides the batterie. That was a hard thing to do bc it peeped like crazy constantly until I rebooted after achieving all the tests.

I am now running the complete online test.

But the full test seems bugging, I get a message that multiple tests are running at the same time and I should restart the service. Which I had done, but got the same message again, and it looks like it stops doing anything. That said, it went 3/4 through, with no issues so far. But not 100% sure. (screenshot below)

If I just could find the thing that makes that noise... I would take it apart and smash it against a wall. This sound is torture.

image_2019-01-19_20-31-19.png

0 Kudos
Chrisadell
2 Iron

Oh and I forgot, the second issue that is very bothering, the machine turns on by itself every time it receives power. 

And now I wanted to see if it had done the entire test, but I found it turned off. So I will have to wake it up again, and that will make it beep again! OMG!
0 Kudos
Chrisadell
2 Iron

Here is what I fond out when I opened my laptop:

There is only one RAM module left. In the upper slot, and this is the one I bought and inserted myself. 

When I put this one out, surprise, in the original slot, nothing... empty... The guy stole my RAM! Can't believe it!

Now, the fact that the only RAM module left sits on the second slot can make it beep? 

I could just try it out, but I am a bit left handed and don't want to destroy the only RAM that I now have.

0 Kudos
JOcean
4 Ruthenium

Not wanting to jump to conclusions, it is possible he removed it and forgot to reinstall it. I would be calling him and asking about the missing module though. And yes, a RAM module in the wrong SODIMM slot could cause problems. There usually is a specific slot for the RAM depending on the number you have. Post again after you have a chance to try the RAM in the other slot. As I said, the fact that an HDD was replaced and the beeping started is too much of a coincidence, which is why I asked if he installed RAM.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
Chrisadell
2 Iron

I live in a country where when you get your car back after maintenance, usually there are a few pieces missing. But your were right, I rebooted with one RAM less, and it still beeped, but had 4 GB RAM left. Means I had in fact 2x4 GB. It's that this beeping changes a human into a zombie lol. Well since it still beeps like crazy, I must now locate the other RAM module... though I thought it was right underneath the one I quit.
0 Kudos
Chrisadell
2 Iron

That said, it is detecting both RAMs and doesn't find an issues with them. But makes series of 4 beeps... the time it boots, and then stops beeping. Until it reboots or wakes up from sleep mode.
0 Kudos
Chrisadell
2 Iron

With the remaining module in place I was able to run a one component online test (memory only).

No issue found.

Is there another reason that can create those series of 4 beeps?

0 Kudos
JOcean
4 Ruthenium

The only other thing I can imagine is that the BIOS needs to be reset. It is possible that the BIOS is still looking for the other RAM module. First of all restart the system and at the Dell splash screen start tapping F2. In the BIOS check to make sure that the RAM module and proper RAM size is detected. If that looks good then shutdown the system and unplug the adapter. Remove the CMOS battery (coin cell) and leave it out of the system for 15 minutes. And it might not be a bad idea to replace the battery after the 15 minutes. Finally reinsert the battery and try to boot again. The procedure to remove the battery is in the manual linked below, but it is a bit involved and I am not sure how comfortable you are doing the required procedures. A local shop can do this (a different shop of course).

Of course there is one other thing I can think of. If the system beeps with the RAM in either slot and reseating does not seem to help then it could be a motherboard problem. Run diagnostics again and this time run it on the entire system.

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-14-343...

Also

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/DEll-Inspiron-5721-four-beeps-black-screen/...

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell