NewTaxiMom
1 Copper

5 beeps laptop Inspiron

My daughter's Inspiron 3558 laptop - which is 2 months past the 1 yr warranty - has started making the 5 beeps on start up and continues to do so while the laptop is on. I have searched the community boards and see similar issues for older Insprion laptops but not for this model. Does anyone know what the issue is or how to resolve? It's impossible to use the laptop as the beeping noise never stops unless it is off. Otherwise, laptop functions fine. Any help would be great. Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: 5 beeps laptop Inspiron

5 beeps usually means that the CMOS battery is failing and needs to be replaced.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

NewTaxiMom,

The below chart shows what the beep/led flash codes for the Inspiron 3558.

Beep Code

The Beep/LED flash code indicators are as below:

Diagnostic Beep/LED Codes:
LED # of Flashes
Fault Description
Fault(s)
CPU
CPU failure
Motherboard: BIOS ROM failure
Motherboard, covers BIOS corruption or ROM error
Memory
No Memory/RAM detected
Memory
Memory/RAM failure
Memory
Invalid memory installed
Motherboard: Chipset
Motherboard / Chipset Error
LCD
LCD failure
RTC Power Failure
CMOS battery failure
PCI / Video
PCI or Video card/chip failure
BIOS Recovery 1
Recovery Image not found
BIOS Recovery 2
Recovery Image found but invalid

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos
NewTaxiMom
1 Copper

Hi Jesse Thank you so much. I'm not sure what LED means in the chart but we heard a successive 5 beeps, pause, then 5 more beeps. We tried to run support assist but it kept failing when it checked for updates. Can you provide additional clarification?

Appreciate the help. I've owned a variety of dell laptops for longer than for and never had an issue.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Buy yourself a CR-2032 button cell battery (available for a few dollars from Target, CVS, etc., or as little as a $0.25 if you buy multiples from amazon -- or you may already have one, since they're used in car remotes, etc. as well).

Remove the base cover, disconnect the main battery and replace the battery.  That should take care of things.

If the problem persists after changing the reserve CR-2032 battery, the clock chip itself is bad - this is not a replaceable part - the mainboard would then need to be changed).

Service manual shows the location and how to change the reserve/coin-cell battery.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3558-laptop/manuals

0 Kudos
MARKMANNEET
1 Copper

Do you know if the BEEPING is from a Piezo -or- the regular audio speakers??? The reason i ask is that I am NOT if DELL still uses PIEZO SOUNDERS in the Inspiron. Did they use piezo's on older laptop units and stop using them???  Please advise...  Thank you!  BTW, 5 beeps is the internal button battery (confirmed).  I am trying to figure out where that loud beep comes from... it is loud and annoying and I can NOT have it going off at the wrong time for my application...  Thanks again!  🙂  Mark

0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

At least the vast majority beep through the regular speakers -- I don't think I remember encountering any notebooks that have separate piezo speakers on the mainboard or chassis.

0 Kudos