Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

NS

March 30th, 2018 18:00

5559 Touchscreen driver

My touchscreen on my 5559 Inspiron has stopped working. Under Device Manager, there is no HID Compliant Touch Screen even when I click on 'show hidden icons', so it appears my driver disappeared, probably in an upgrade. There is also no conflicting USB as reviewed in other posts. I downloaded all of the drivers in Support Assist, as well as ran the diagnostic tool and everything is working properly. What would my next step be to find the touch screen driver to reinstall? Thanks for any suggestions. 

8 Posts

March 30th, 2018 20:00

Have you tried running the Windows troubleshooter located in Control Panel -> Troubleshooting -> Hardware

72 Posts

March 31st, 2018 02:00

Sometimes the 'driver' for hardware is not really a driver. I had the same problem using an FN key, the "driver" was in another unrelated program. Where Dell hides, I have no idea.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 31st, 2018 06:00

The touch screen driver is in one of the windows updates. The February 13, 2018 security update, KB4074588 could be the culprit of the touchscreen not working.The update cause some USB devices and onboard devices, such as a built-in laptop camera, keyboard, mouse or touch screen may stop working for some users. Microsoft has released a new update KB4090913 (OS Build 16299.251) which supposedly fix the problem, see link below).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091240/usb-devices-may-stop-working-after-installing-the-february-13-2018-upd

I would suggest using the System Restore tool on system to go back to an earlier time before the touch screen stop working. Type Create A Restore Point onto [Cortana] search box, select System Restore, click Next, and then Show More Restore Points. Please select the date before the touch screen problem occurred.

Note: System restore doesn't affect any of your documents, pictures or other personal data. Recently installed programs and drivers might be uninstalled.

1 Message

August 15th, 2018 00:00

In my case, the driver was hidden in the "mice and other pointing devices" instead of the "human interface devices" with a different name. it was installed as "usb touchscreen device", i uninstalled it and "HID-Compliant touchscreen" was automatically added to the "human interface devices". That fixed it for me, hope it works for you

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 15th, 2018 08:00

DANNICADA

Thanks for sharing your solution. It will be a help to those who are having the same touchscreen problem. 

2 Posts

December 26th, 2018 06:00

Dell support has determined that the touch screen issue is a hardware problem and will replace the screen. After checking the System Configuration in the BIOS, the touch screen is not listed. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. 

1 Message

April 8th, 2019 15:00

what if there are no restore points prior to update?

May 24th, 2020 06:00

Thank you 

That's perfectly work for me

1 Message

January 6th, 2022 10:00

I have this same problem getting ready to toss this laptop. This was the worst dell product I have ever owned. I am going to download the drivers again but it wasn't working for me before. Good luck!

No Events found!