Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

5 Posts

May 13th, 2019 08:00

5577, external monitor and Netflix etc.

I have an Inspiron 5577 connected to a nice Acer external monitor (Extend displays) - everything is fine with work, gaming, whatever - until I use any media service (Netflix, Amazon, Spotify, BBC iPlayer)  then the second monitor goes blank, and the HDMI port goes "dead" until the cable is unplugged and re-plugged. 

I don't necessarily want the video running on the external monitor, but regardless of where the media is playing, the output is disabled. 

I'm assuming this is a HDCP issue? But why?  

I've tried different cables and they didn't work. 

Any ideas? 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 13th, 2019 09:00

That's very strange.  HDCP issues typically generate error messages specifically mentioning HDCP, and if you're not trying to play that content on that display, then its HDCP status shouldn't matter anyway.  The fact that the display resumes normal operation after being reconnected (even while the content is still playing?) further suggests that HDCP probably isn't to blame here.  Just to cover a basic possibility, have you updated the drivers for the GPU(s) in your system?  If you're currently using all of these media services through the same browser, have you tried using a different browser?

5 Posts

Hi there,

I've tried Chrome, FF and Edge - all the same.

The display doesn't work if I reconnect whilst the media is playing. I have to quit, then unplug the HDMI for it to work.

My GPU drivers are up to date. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@NeillM wrote:

Hi there,

I've tried Chrome, FF and Edge - all the same.

The display doesn't work if I reconnect whilst the media is playing. I have to quit, then unplug the HDMI for it to work.

My GPU drivers are up to date. 

What if you try to play the content while the browser is actually on the affected external display?  Does that trigger any different behavior?

1.5K Posts

April 4th, 2020 09:00

Your Monitor does not support HDCP A workaround I have found for that is some HDMI Splitters somehow to bypass the HDCP Block. I use this set up for watching my Direct TV and Sling M2 no idea if it will work on computer Sources? The one linked is the one I use. they seem to last a couple of years Using a UPS and constant use. No idea if this will work on your computer or whether the current models still have this ability

No Events found!