Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 17th, 2019 17:00

7559 - Laptop/Display failing to turn on following shutdown

(Specs at bottom)

A number of months ago, my Inspiron 7559 began to fail to turn on. Following a screen timeout, the keys would light up and the fans would run, but no display. Usually, a restart fixed. Throughout its lifetime (november 2015), this happened maybe once ever 3 months beforehand. As time went by it got worse, until about 4 months ago, it began to happen regularly, and not to turn on following a restart or shut down. Same story, fans and keys light up. IT would eventually start up after several, slow attempts however, now this weird sort of grey halo/fog appeared around the screen (pictured): Each time i did it, the fog got bigger (although it has 'reset' to smaller now since not turning it off).

https://i.imgur.com/XhCb0Qc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CPPJfgr.jpg

My temporary solution was - just dont turn it off or put it on standby, and this worked. As long as the PC (im thinkin display) is not turned off in anyway, it runs perfectly... infact, better than before. When it does turn off occasionally for updates (maybe 3 or 4 times), I go through the same troubles again, and need to restart it 5 or 6 times and after, the same routine happens: Launches startup repair - detects no issues. Fails to start. Try once more. Almost starts but stops. Try one more time: turns on.

I recently discovered it seems to turn on (better) when the battery is removed and it is plugged directly into AC. I also just plugged it now into a HDMI external monitor. The monitor is displaying fine, but now when I inplug the monitor, the screen on my laptop wont turn back on. Lastly, even if i tell the computer to "do nothing" when I close the lid, it still loses the display.

Moving or adjusting the screen in anyway however does not affect it. All components are up to date as far as I know, I have reinstalled installed display drivers, tried fiddling with many settings. I am aware my problem may be hardware but need to know if its worth fixing or is a more serious issue. Again keep note as long as it doesnt have to restart, the laptop works 100%.

Dell Inspiron 7559

Windows 10 Home

64-bit Intel Processor @ 2.60GHz

8.00GB RAM

Dell Inc. 0H0CC0 (U3E1)

Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)

Intel HD Graphics 530 (Dell)

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (Dell)

931GB Seagate ST1000LM014-1EJ164 (SATA) 42 °C

931GB Seagate BUP Slim BK SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA)) 37 °C

Realtek Audio

4 Posts

March 4th, 2020 09:00

Hi,

I took my laptop to an authorized service center and they found that the screen is loosing the image. The only solution for this was replacing the screen of the computer for a new one. The new screen is working perfectly! I have computer again!

9 Posts

March 20th, 2019 17:00

Hoping to get some simple advice on what this could be....

Someone shut down my laptop recently and after restarting, this is now the screen:

It (like the other fog) slowly fades away. Its very faint now.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've posted on these forums before and try to include as much detail about the problem as possible but never recieve comments back - whereas posts with just "my laptop has broken' seem to attract more help from dell. Even if they just tell me its more likely hardware than software would be greatly appreciated!

9 Posts

March 22nd, 2019 19:00

bump

March 23rd, 2019 14:00

It seems they just don't care about this issue at all. I see at least 4 people on the front page of this part of the forum, myself included, and it just gets ignored.

9 Posts

March 24th, 2019 21:00

Seems that way. If a dell employee would just reply back with a simple "take it in for service" then I'd be at least partially satisfied. I mean, that IS what I intend to do regardless but I'd like at least some comment before I make my decision - it could be better for me to just replace the **bleep** thing.

4 Posts

February 12th, 2020 08:00

Hi,

I have the same problem not in the same magnitude but the same problem.

In my case, happens when I close and open the lid of my laptop.

Here is a picture of my problem:

2020-02-09 12.17.40.jpg2020-02-09 12.17.44.jpg

In addition, I ran the diagnostic tool and a problem was found.

Capture.PNG

No Events found!