Highlighted

AC Power Adapter “Cannot be Determined”

On my Dell Inspiron 5559 Laptop, I just recently updated it to the latest version of windows. I came back a few hours later and saw that my laptop wasn’t charging, but I thought it was just some glitch. I turned off my computer and turned it back on. Now it won’t even boot into Windows 10, but it will just say that my “AC Power Adapter Cannot be Determined” and that it isn’t a Dell power cord, even though I am using the stock cord with the system. Money is tight, so how does one suggest I fix this? Also, my battery is so low now that it requires me to keep the cord in, in order to stop it from dying.

5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: AC Power Adapter “Cannot be Determined”

AmethystHarrison,

Click the links below for troubleshooting and resolving the adapter error.

Troubleshoot AC Adapter Error Messages on Dell Laptop PC

AC Adapter

Highlighted

None of the troubleshooting fixed it, and it seems unjust that the best solution would be to buy a $50 power cord because a Dell-designed cord just stopped working. I have tried everything I could think of, I have hard-reset it, reset everything except windows and files, updated every driver, undid updates. Nothing seems to work. I don’t understand why Dell cables cost so much if comsumers are forced to only buy Dell-made cables, since Dell won’t let 3rd-Party sellers have their cords operate. It is an uncool scam for money, never buying a Dell laptop again.

Highlighted
1 Copper

I am having the same problem (with an official Dell power supply) - the problem happened just after a BIOS update.  Regrettably I didn't pay attention to the BIOS version 'before' I did the BIOS upgrade.  Although I downgraded the BIOS to 5 different earlier levels, the problem persists.  This problem happened (of course) very shortly after the 1-year after purchase, so I'm on my own.  I will take it to a local computer store to see if 'their' power supply works.  If it does, I will likely buy a $10 power supply from Amazon (and return it if it doesn't work).

It's sad if I have to spend $50 to buy another 'official Dell' power supply due to a BIOS upgrade.  I provide technology support for people that live in my community, and they frequently ask for help on what computer to purchase.  It sure would have an impact on any future Dell purchases - both for me and my clients.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Go to Device Manager in Control Panel, and disable Microsoft AC Adapter (in Battery device)

1 Copper

AC Adapter Wattage and type cannot determined