AMS109923
1 Nickel

AC Power adapter is not recognized

Hi,

I own a 15" Inspiron 5570 which was purchased on Oct 2017. Recently I to replace my AC Adaptor duo a broken AC Adaptor connector, using the service I found the part number of the original AC adaptor (G6J41) (IMG 3) and ordered a new AC Adaptor (IMG 2) for my computer.

After I plugged the new AC Adaptor I keep getting an error message (IMG 1) and the status of the "power icon" shows "0% plugged in, not charging" I tried to google the issue and found a lot of posts regarding this issue but i still couldn't solve it (it looks like the Adaptor is not being recognized in the BIOS)

Anyone can help me solve this issue ?

IMG 1: Error message on startup 

IMG 2: The new AC Adaptor 

WhatsApp Image 2018-03-14 at 09.44.49.jpeg

IMG 3: The old AC Adaptor

WhatsApp Image 2018-03-14 at 09.45.27.jpeg

0 Kudos
8 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: AC Power adapter is not recognized

If the replacement AC adapter is OEM Dell (your images don't show), and like the original is not recognized, the next thing to replace is the DC jack inside the system.

It isn't clear why you replaced the adapter (the system is under warranty), but if you need the DC jack, it's this part:
https://www.ebay.com/i/122945053962?chn=ps

If that doesn't solve the problem, you have a faulty mainboard.

0 Kudos
AMS109923
1 Nickel

Thank you for your answer.

1. In order to see images you need to be logged in for some reason

2. How can the DC Jack be a problem where the battery menu icon (on windows) says "Plugged, not charging" meaning that the system "knows" that something is connected   

ASM

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

There is a third wire in the Dell jack that completes a logic circuit between the adapter and mainboard.  If it doesn't make contact (or there's a break in that circuit somewhere, but the main power circuit is OK), the system will run but the battery won't charge.  It's also why only OEM Dell adapters will charge the battery (though third party ones will run the system, sans battery charge).

If the adapter has been replaced with OEM Dell, and is not recognized, the power jack is the next likely suspect -- and if it's not the power jack then it is the charge circuit itself -- which isn't separately replaceable.  If the charge circuit is bad, the mainboard needs replacement.

0 Kudos
AMS109923
1 Nickel

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

It appears to be an OEM adapter - so the problem is with the DC jack or the mainboard.

The warranty should cover either problem -- unless there's physical damage to the system itself.

0 Kudos
AMS109923
1 Nickel

Will the warranty apply if I bought the adaptor from the above the store and from Dell directly ?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

The warranty will cover the system AND the adapter -- as long as it's not physical damage that caused the problem.  If the adapter or jack is physically damaged, they will deem it accidental damage and it will not be covered.

The adapter you purchased is covered by the supplier - which is not Dell.

0 Kudos
AMS109923
1 Nickel

Thank you for your help 🙂

0 Kudos