Highlighted
ChickaD
1 Copper

Adapter not recognized, battery not charging

The laptop with the problem is Inspiron 15 3567.   In March I contacted Dell support about the battery not charging due to adapter not recognized, and yes, it is the adapter that came with the computer, new.    After discussion with the Dell tech, it was decided I should send the laptop to Dell to be repaired as the problem seemed to be internal.    A few days later, before I could get the laptop boxed to ship, the battery began to charge again and no more notices about adapter.   For about a month the laptop was fine.  About 2 weeks ago the same problem began again.  I have a little over 2 months left on the warranty.  I have held  off of contacting Dell support, in case the problem mysteriously goes away like it did before.  Also, I began to have a scratchy sound associated with the audio just before I was to send the laptop to Dell in March.  When the battery problem went away, the audio trouble disappeared also.  Now it is back with the adapter/battery problem.   I am concerned if I send it in, the problem will disappear again and the repair people won't see what I am seeing right now.  I guess that is a chance I will have to take.    What would make this kind of problem disappear for no reason, then return again?   Thanks for any comments and help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Adapter not recognized, battery not charging

Hi ChickaD,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

From your description, it would appear that there is the possibility of a motherboard component failing.  Fortunately your system was working fine but, now it appears that part may be failing again.  Different changes in temperature, climate, power conditions, etc. can cause this to happen.  My suggestion would be to have the motherboard replaced under warranty as you set up before.

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

Troubleshoot AC Adapter Error Messages on Dell Laptop PC

If you need additional assistance, please contact me by Private Message and include your personal information along with your computer's Service Tag Number.  Thanks.

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
ChickaD
1 Copper

dell-robert p,

Thank you for your quick response and the article.  I will go through the steps shown to see if any of them correct the situation.   I have the emails from when the problem first arose, but I think the numbers I have are associated with the return information.  If necessary, I will do as you say and contact you through private message.  Thank you so much for your help and an explanation as to why the laptop may have started working again only to have the problem return. 

0 Kudos
ChickaD
1 Copper

I went through technical support at the Dell website and sent the laptop in for repair.   The problem ended up being the adapter.   Thank you again for your help and time!

0 Kudos