Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2020 04:00

Additional RAM not detected in BIOS

Hi,

I have Dell Inspiron 15R n5110. I already have RAM of 4GB installed.

I wanted to upgrade it to 8GB so I bought another 4GB stick to put in the 2nd slot.

But the BIOS is not detecting the new stick. I checked on Speccy software and it is showing 8GB RAM with both slots utilized, but BIOS is not detecting the additional RAM and is still showing 4GB.

Pic from Speccy:

sanchitkanwar_0-1593431263709.png

Pic from System Information:

sanchitkanwar_1-1593431308174.png

I ran the diagnostics from F12 and it showed no error.

Can anyone please suggest how I can activate the second RAM stick too? Or if there might be an issue?

P.S. - The new stick configuration is exactly similar to the one already in use.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Sanchit

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

June 29th, 2020 04:00

Run the Dell diagnostics on the memory (F12 at powerup). Try one module at a time -- if the new module works in the first slot, but neither module works in the second, be sure the contacts are clean.

If they are, and both modules check out - the second slot is bad.

June 29th, 2020 12:00

Hi all,

I have finally found a solution and it is working now. Both RAMs are now detected by BIOS and total 8GB is being used as per the Task Manager.

Steps:

1. Check each RAM stick individually in all slots.
  2. If all slots and RAM sticks are working, put all RAM sticks in slots, and run F12 diagnostics just for Memory.
  3. It took around 1.5 - 2 hrs for me.
  4. System will restart automatically after successful test.
  5. Now the total RAM should be visible in BIOS.

Thanks @ejn63 and @inspiron 3593 for the suggestions!

Best regards,

Sanchit

June 29th, 2020 06:00

Hi,

I ran the diagnostics with a thorough test for the below scenarios:

• Old RAM stick in Slot 1 - Test passed 
  • Old RAM stick in Slot 2 - Test passed
  • New RAM stick in Slot 1 - Test passed
  • New RAM stick in Slot 2 - Test passed
  • Both sticks in Slots 1 and 2 - Test passed

Now I am not sure what to do next. Still my BIOS is picking only 4GB.
Any suggestions what I can do next?

Thanks,

Best regards,

Sanchit

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

June 29th, 2020 06:00

What OS (Windows 7, 10, etc.) and is it 32- or 64-bit Windows?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

June 29th, 2020 07:00

Since the system does see the RAM, but doesn't use it, contact your memory seller to determine compatibility with your system.

June 29th, 2020 07:00

It is Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

June 29th, 2020 09:00

1.Which Ram brand you are using ? (Ex: Adata , Kingston , Samsung , Micron , ............).  Did you try Kingston KCP or KVR ram brand?  

2. Try this way go to start then click on windows administrative tools then click on windows memory diagnostic and run the system. then finally it'll show the errors of the system. if not show any error message then problem is in your hardware side. 

3. reset the cmos battery ( follow the link :  https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln292953/how-to-troubleshoot-dell-laptop-battery-issues?lang=en)

4. check the ram speed and specification (new ram and old ram).

5. try to install the windows 10 with your new ram and after that install the old ram and check.

6. wipe the hdd data properly (may be any software crash) and install the windows 10 again.

7. check the new ram any physical damage. 

8. make sure your laptop are clean (ram slot , and other slots).

9. final step : remove your old ram and work with your new ram for  slot 1 and slot 2 (buy the same new ram) and check whether the system is work or not. may be old ram can't be support with new ram for work.

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 10:00

I have a problem while installing 2x8Gb where the second module is detected as only 64mb. I tried the diagnostic but no change. Has anyone else had this issue? 

June 17th, 2023 19:00

When you did this what was the first stage you did after plugging in the new ram and reconnecting the power as I only ever get a black screen. and on the side of the computer a morse code sign of 2 amber lights and 5 white meaning invalid memory. So, I can't even get the computer screen to come on. 

1 Message

July 29th, 2023 06:00

I had the similar issue.

My old RAM was 8GB, bought a new 8GB RAM to upgrade.

I inserted 2 RAMs sticks in 2 slots - Blank Screen.

Old RAM in slot 1- working

New RAM in slot 1- working

I thought some issue with slot 2.

Tried new RAM in slot 2 - working

Old RAM in slot 2 - working

Finally inserted new RAM in slot 1 and old RAM in slot 2 - working.

In simple, I've interchanged the RAM and slots.

Working fine and RAM was upgraded.

4 Posts

September 6th, 2023 21:14

After having this happen to two of my Dell servers I spend the past couple of weeks researching this matter .

It didn't seemogical that two completely different setups would suffer the same fate ,the only common denominator was bios a19 recently Installed .

I finally found the solution

First remove CPU 2

Update bios to A13

Start computer with one slot

Then two

Until your full

Restarting after filling ever slot

Then add the 2nd CPU

And add stick by stick

And now I can see all the ram !!!

(edited)

No Events found!