Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

6 Posts

May 25th, 2019 06:00

Anyone Else Have This Experience with Inspiron 7386 Update and Support?

I have a four-month-old Inspiron 7386, and the Dell Update App prompts me to download updates that are not for the 7386. I called support and got one friendly guy who told me to ignore the App and get updates from the website. So a while later, I went to the website, had it detect my laptop, and got several update recommendations, one of which seemed questionable.

So, just to be sure, I call support again. (Had a previous bad experience with a Dell update on another computer). This time I'm told I will have to pay to get any information about that update.

This Support guy says that there are NO updates for my computer, despite what the App and website say, and that maybe I'm looking at a fake Dell.com website. He essentially denies everything the previous Support representative said to me.

Has anyone had this issue with weird update recommendations and/or conflicting "Support" information? Thanks in advance for any advice.

6 Posts

May 27th, 2019 15:00

Wanted to also ask if there is any way to call Dell and get routed to someone who can answer a question about a laptop that is under warranty? I must be selecting the wrong options when I call or calling the wrong contact number...  :)

9.4K Posts

May 28th, 2019 04:00

Hi Say_Again,

Thanks for posting and for providing your service tag information.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

From reading your post, it appears that a Dell Update advised you to update a driver on your computer.  Were you having troubles prior to this?  Have you been able to run diagnostics yet?  If not, please press F12 at startup or run Dell SupportAssist, make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.  If there are none, then it could indicate either a software or driver issue.

The type of warranty you purchased with your computer does not provide for software support past the first 30 days from invoice of your system, so the agent who asked for payment was correct in their assessment of your request. If the issue is hardware related, then certainly we would be happy to troubleshoot and hopefully resolve your issue.

If you were not experiencing any issues, and just wished to locate updates for your system, then it is possible a general update message was sent to you and may not have been specifically for your computer.  As the previous agent replied, unless you are having an issue with the computer, it may be advisable to disregard the notice.

Please post back or contact us privately if you still need assistance.

6 Posts

May 29th, 2019 16:00

Dell Support Assist keeps freezing, but it says I have four driver updates available. Dell Update says I have six driver updates available and three non-driver updates. Can you explain the difference? Should I download any of them, and if so, which is more accurate: Dell Support Assist or Dell Update?

Also how can I get Dell Support Assist to stop freezing and allow me to actually look at the four updates it wants me to download?

Thanks.

9.4K Posts

May 30th, 2019 04:00

Hi Say_Again,

To address your SupportAssist issue, you can uninstall and reinstall it.  You may need a 3rd party program to remove all instances of SA that's on your machine (some customers have reported up to 3 instances of SA running).  

To address your update issue, the best way to determine what updates are needed for your computer is to not update anything unless you're having a problem.  If you are, then go to the Drivers and Downloads page for your system and manually update from there.

Using a manual update rather than an automatic one reduces the possibility of a conflict with the application.

6 Posts

May 31st, 2019 10:00

Thank you for your response.

No Events found!