Start a Conversation

Unsolved

BR

20 Posts

July 14th, 2020 05:00

Aptio BIOS version 2.3.0 -- Inspiron 11-3168 -- Ubuntu

This Inspiron 11-3168 has the internal eMMC SanDisk DF4032 358c6b72 32GB for a hard drive.

Windows 10 Home does not work in the machine, but I like the machine because it is small and I can use it in my car. Everything is good about this but the fact it does not work with W-10 Home.

I have gone through many iterations of attempting to install Ubuntu. All give me the message "No bootable device found" (something like that).  Clearly the BIOS/UEFI is not finding the boot record that Ubuntu is installing on the drive.  I did the Ubuntu "Something else" install as suggested by Dell, can see the boot sector, swap space, and all with Gparted. FYI, cannot install dual-boot with W-10 on the eMMC, windows takes all of the drive, not even enough space left on the drive to operate the W-10! 

QUESTIONS:

1) Is there a setting in BIOS, or can I point the UEFI with this version of BIOS (see subject line) to the Ubuntu '.efi' file? 

2) Is this the latest version of BIOS?  I tried to do an update of BIOS, seems it took the update, but I did not write down the old version before the update, so I am not sure.

3) I forgot to mention, when I change the BIOS to UEFI mode, the only F12 boot option is something like 'Windows Boot Manager", is this BIOS set to only work with W-10 home? Thus, the Dell is designed to leave at home 

Hope Dell support can jump in.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 14th, 2020 07:00

There is a Linux forum here that would be a better place to post.

https://www.dell.com/community/Linux-General/bd-p/Linux?ref=lithium_menu

5.6K Posts

July 14th, 2020 08:00

@buring RV fridge 

Do not hold your breath if you expect Dell support to respond to your question in any meaningful way.

Dell only supports the OS that is originally on the laptop. Period. Any extracurricular activities on your part is your problem.

This is BIOS specific question, I did not find anything on the forum you suggested, but my search words my be wrong?

That was not helpful, now anyone know about this question?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

July 14th, 2020 09:00

It's not clear what you're trying to do.  You say the system won't run Windows 10 -- but now you're asking about dual booting a second OS from the same 32 G eMMC drive that won't run Windows 10.

Are you trying to wipe out the eMMC drive for Linux only?

There's also a thread here about fastboot interfering with ubuntu

https://askubuntu.com/questions/890421/trouble-installing-on-inspiron-11-3168

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

July 14th, 2020 12:00

The system should support linux.  What happens when you press F12 at startup with a known-bootable linux flash drive attached?  You should then be able to kick off the installation to start the process of partitioning the eMMC drive to kick off the installation.

Only a relatively new distribution will support UEFI boot (but if you're OK with legacy/CSM mode, that should work fine on this system -- newer systems have no CSM support, but this one does).

July 14th, 2020 12:00

Oh, sorry I thought it was clear:

I am trying to install Ubuntu.

I also stated that I wanted to know if there is a BIOS setting for Ubuntu, or does the BIOS just support windows (I do not want W-10)?

Thus, I need someone that understands the BIOS settings for the machine I have.

The post your referenced does not give me any confidence if they do not know what 'sda' is. In addition, I have Fast boot disabled, and switched over to UEFI, neither this nor Legacy, gives me anything other than "No Boot Device found" screen.

Any one have a clue? 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

July 14th, 2020 13:00

The bigger question is:  why does the manual boot trip NOT work.  Are you certain whatever flash drive you've connected IS bootable?

If F12 does not work, try FN F12.

July 14th, 2020 13:00

PS, see my original question, number 1 I think it is.

a) This does not work:   Fastboot OFF, UEFI Mode ON, Secure Boot OFF

So I want to try something that does work, with this setting in BIOS:

Fastboot OFF, UEFI Mode ON, Secure Boot ON

Is the a way to point the BIOS to the correct boot file?

Hope this clears things up.

July 14th, 2020 14:00

Thanks for the response, one needs to put the boot mode in Legacy to get the USB boot option.

I installed the Ubuntu 18. something, downloaded about 1.5 month ago.

The Ubuntu loads just fine from the USB, used it and seems to do everything I want it to.

I did the install from the USB, then, cannot boot the system.

I have gone in and looked with Gparted, the disk drive looks good.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, clearly the BIOS does not recognize the boot sector.

Thanks in advance   

July 14th, 2020 14:00

F12 works, gets the boot menu, the strange thing is that Windows Boot Manager is there.

FN+ F12: What did this DO!

After trying to boot using FN+F12, the power button will no longer turn on the computer.

HELP GET ME OUT OF THIS SUGGESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 15th, 2020 04:00

For anyone that follows this bad advice of pressing the FN + F12 keys during boot, then the Dell will not restart,

Disconnect 120VAC power supply, take off the back cover, disconnect the battery for 5 minutes, POS will restart.

Now, anyone with any experience out there that may be able to help with this Ubuntu boot issue? 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

July 15th, 2020 04:00

First suggestion:  lose the obnoxious attitude.

Second suggestion:  Find out why the flash drive isn't sensed as bootable.

Good luck to you.  Get out of your own way, and you might be able to make this work.

July 15th, 2020 05:00

"Find out why the flash drive isn't sensed as bootable"

Thanks for your advice, but you do need to read, I installed Ubuntu from the flash drive.

This means the I did boot from the flash drive boss.

Kids!

No Events found!