1 Copper

BIOS setup utility will not allow me to make changes

Problem: I have an Inspiron 3531 and I am unable to change the SATA Operation back to ACHI.

Situation: I had an old laptop HD that I was fooling around with. I took out the original HD (running Windows 10) from the Inspiron, and installed the old/extra HD in the laptop to see if I could boot up and access my old OS(Vista) and files.

When I attempted to boot the BIOS would not hand-off to the OS on the old drive so I changed the SATA Operation to ATA from AHCI in the BIOS Setup Utility. It still wouldn't boot, so I gave up and attempted to change the SATA Op. back to AHCI but it was greyed out. I re-installed my original HD that came with the Inspiron and attempted to boot but got the "blue screen". Attempted to change the SATA Op. back to the original settings but still greyed out.

I am out of ideas. I have attempted to re-flash the BIOS with the current version and a previous version. I realize that the BIOS will not had off to the OS with the SATA Op in ATA. How to I re-enable this menu item so that I can change back?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
2 Bronze

Re: BIOS setup utility will not allow me to make changes

Just a guess. Is there a default in “EXIT”?

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Thanks for the relply JoeGons. F9 is supposed to put everything back to defaults, but it appears to do nothing... Or atleast it has no affect on the SATA Operation selection. After pressing F9 everything is still greyed out.

0 Kudos
7 Gold

If everything is grayed out, typically that's because there's an admin password set, in which case you have to unlock the interface by supplying the admin password.  I think that's done under the Security section of the interface.

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Figured it out for anyone with the same issue. Disassemble laptop and pull CMOS battery to reset BIOS. After reassembling, laptop would not function at first. I though I bricked it. Screen was black and the only thing that I got was the power light. I pulled apart and messed with the connectors a couple of times and finally gave up and just put it back together. Plugged into power supply and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. Turned it on and it booted right up (although slowly). Did not even have to go back into the BIOS menu, it came up and did a system restore.

There was not an admin PW set. That was one of the only functions available, was to set an admin PW. So, don't really know what happened, but removing CMOS battery did the trick. Thanks for the responses!

0 Kudos