Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

18 Posts

March 29th, 2020 17:00

BIOS update blocked due to unsupported downgrade, #2

After I updated bios 1.70 last October, 2019, It cannot charge battery no more. This Inspiron 15 5559 without a battery CPU runs only 0.29 GHZ. It likes a snail. It seems Inspiron without a battery becomes a junk. Then I come to the same situation try to downgrade to bios version 1.30. It always shows this  "blocked due to unsupported downgrade by bios guard". I also received a "private message" from Dell-Care request me to submit my service tag number. Once they find out my warranty expired, they cannot assist. This is a bios issue and Dell does not want to take ownership of this.

This was a decision made by the platform team. Once you install a BIOS that addresses any Intel Security Advisory, you cannot go back to a previous BIOS.
DELL-Cares

March 30th, 2020 18:00

Hey got any spare USB laying around? I know a risky method to force BIOS downgrade through a bootable USB. This method can potentially brick your BIOS, so do this at your own risk.

1) Download Rufus and install it from https://rufus.ie/

2) Plug in the USB. If you have anything important from it, back it up to your hard drive or something.

3) Open up Rufus then select your USB.

4) Under "Boot Selection", select "FreeDOS". Check to make sure that "FAT32" is selected under "File System".

5) Leave everything else at default value and click Start at the bottom. This will format your USB to FAT32 and install FreeDOS on it.

6) Go to this website https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15-5559-laptop/drivers and download the last BIOS driver that worked best for you.

7) Rename the file's name into something less than 10 characters, like 160.exe for example. Then copy/paste the file into the USB.

Now shut down the laptop and plug in the charger. Don't eject the USB yet.

9) Now I want you to boot into BIOS by turning the power on and spam F2. While in BIOS set up, I want you to disable Secure Boot, PTT/TPP security and then enable Legacy Rom Option. I don't know how does your BIOS look like so try to figure those out on your own.

10) Save all changes, then exit BIOS. The laptop will reboot, but this time I want you to enter the Boot Menu by spamming F12 before the Dell logo appears.

11) Once you enter the Boot Menu, you should see your USB under the "Legacy" list. Select it.

12) Now you should see some interface that looks like barebone Command Prompt. Congratulations! You have made it into FreeDOS!

13) Type "dir". This command will list all the files you have on your USB.

14) Once you see the BIOS file, type in "xxxx.exe /forceit" (where xxxx is your BIOS's file name)

15) Proceed with the instructions. Good luck!

18 Posts

April 1st, 2020 03:00

Did all that.

I was able to go to the update bios screen of from 1.7 to 1.3. But stuck at the final stage. The same old message shows up.

Dell should take the ownership of making a newer version of bios and release it to users because many people will realize a Dell laptop without a battery runs slow like a snail.  

In order to run at faster CPU speed and charging battery, users have to purchase a new battery and Dell ac adapter every year.  This is a guaranty of profit.

Really furstrated.

18 Posts

April 1st, 2020 03:00

By the way, I did try to use RUFUS. But version 3.8 or 3.9 do not work.  But I can use version 2.6 to create a bootable usb.

In the end, I use the DELL(TM) DIAGNOSTIC DISTRIBUTION PACKAGE to create my bootable usb.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

18 Posts

April 1st, 2020 04:00

tfan9_0-1585738973933.png

18 Posts

April 3rd, 2020 05:00

For the past three days, I have tried to log-in to give you a update.  But I can not log-in my Dell Community account for some reason.  Maybe because I am too harsh to criticize this issue and have been temporarily blocked by Dell.

Good news though. Starting 4/1/2020, I found out the 5559 CPU speed is jump to 2.0ghz or above without a battery (I normally do not insert battery into the battery bank). The 5559 still has the BIOS version 1.7.0.  This has been consistently for the past three days.

There is no logical answer for explanation of this phenomenal.  I noticed one thing, when I turn on my laptop, the window 10 has a welcome screen greeting. The only logical explanation is Window 10 do a update the night before.  This update solved the CPU speed issue.  Whether is because Dell gives a fix to MS or MS fixed it by themself.

Good news for 5559 users.   BTW I have not check whether this fix works for charging issue.

5 Posts

May 6th, 2020 15:00

Even following all these steps, it was not possible to downgrade, the same message appears "update of bios blocked due to an unsupported downgrade"

18 Posts

May 6th, 2020 16:00

Yes.  You are 100% correct.  I had tried so many different ways.

However, the CPU slowdown and not charging battery seem to be resolved now.   The strange thing is, after 4/1/2020 after I reported this issue was been fixed, my 5559 went back to the snail mode again for a few days later.   It was back to normal speed of over 2.0 Ghz and allow to charge battery sometimes later on.

I was hoping some Tech Experts or computer experts will able to provide the explanation of how this was been fixed.  It seems to me this is an drive incompatibility issues between Intel drivers that meant to slowdown CPU speed to prevent overheat and Dell and MS utility drivers.

June 7th, 2020 18:00

I had the same issue. What did it for me was to use bios recovery rollback rather than downgrade

Keep pressing Ctrl+esc and turn your system on and then plug the power cable .

This will lead to bios recovery where voila you can rollback the bios.

If this procedure does not apply to your laptop or PC just search for bios recovery options rather than downgrading because recovery treats the current bios as corrupt and does not follow it's instructions.

45 Posts

July 13th, 2020 23:00

i thought dell allows bios to be downgraded without hassle?

there is even a bios downgrade option in bios menu

18 Posts

July 14th, 2020 17:00

Yes, Dell older models allow users to do bios downgrade without any problem.   But newer models have bios guard installed (I  believe it is hot-wired in the motherboard).  It is a good feature because this way virus programs can not change the bios and cause damage.  My issue is really because Dell 5559 can not charge battery and without battery in the battery bay, it only runs at 0.29 GHZ. Like a snail.  It appears the problem is because incompatible drivers between Dell, Intel and Microsoft. 

Hope this answer your question.

7 Posts

September 9th, 2020 17:00

"It is a good feature because this way virus programs can not change the bios and cause damage. My issue is really because Dell 5559 can not charge battery and without battery in the battery bay, it only runs at 0.29 GHZ. Like a snail."

A "feature" that essentially renders your laptop useless, for reasons unrelated to what it designed to protect you from in the first place, is not a feature - it's poor design. More importantly, it's poor support.

5 Posts

September 29th, 2020 19:00

I'm absolutely livid right now.  Running the highest spec 5587 they offer for the last two years without a hitch until this bios update.  I don't use it for gaming but to make a living and my video and photos rendering times are God awful now.  

This was not a cheap machine and throttlestop made it run like a dream but now Dell takes away these undervolting features and makes it pretty much unusable.  This will be the last device I ever buy from this company because they're trying to force people buy new computers.  Well, it's working.  I'll be building my own machine and throwing this one straight in the garbage.

This is the most crooked business tactic I've ever seen/been a victim of and very ashamed to be from the same area as this company.  It worked with apple and their throttling of older phones....  

18 Posts

September 30th, 2020 13:00

I understand your frustration.  A few months ago, I was on the same shoes.

It is my opinion that Dell only offers one year warranty and most of the users' machine will broke after the warranty expired. So either you have to rely on Dell Community users help or pay up Dell extended warranty service.  This is what i feel bad about Dell computer.

As to yours and my specific problem is complicated.  It is not completely Dell's fault.  But once your warranty is over, they don't care anymore.  In this case of BIOS update blocked due to unsupported downgrade is multiple fronts:

1. It started with battery can not charge after update newer BIOS. laptop shown that you need to BUY A NEW BATTERY. But it really is the problem. Even you purchase a new battery will not solve this problem.

2.  Then the CPU speed run only up to 0.29Hz, which made the laptop runs like snail. So it makes you think that you need to BUY A NEW LAPTOP.  Which is not true, because the task manager shows the CPU is not yet fully utilized.

3. So you know everything works well before the new BIOS is installed, you try to roll back.  But you can not, because Dell blocks the ROLLBACK. So you are stuck.

4. Finally, you found out after some monthly Window 10 updates and the speed comes back to the full throttle and runs @ 2.6Hz.  What a surprise.

5. So the bottom line is there are some hardware and device drivers compatible issues exist and either Dell and Microsoft do not want to admit and fix it afterward. 

6. The good news is now my Dell 5559 runs at full throttle of CPU speed and battery also can charge. So the roll back of BIOS becomes a moot point.  But if I did not pursuit it and notice the difference, I MIGHT BOUGHT MYSELF A NEW BATTERY AND NEW  LAPTOP.

18 Posts

October 25th, 2020 10:00

Unfortunately, my 5559 went back to the old problems.

The bottom screen shot shows the battery is in "Excellent" shape. But it does not charging .

The right hand side of the CUP speed shows 0.41 GHZ only.  Run like a snail just like a year ago.

My only conclusion is the incompatible drivers between Dell, Intel and Microsoft causes these issues.

1. Not able to charge battery even battery health is excellent.

2. the CPU only runs at low cup speed and not able to fully use the CPU power.

3. The bios can not even downgrade to lower version. There is no need to roll-back if battery can charge and run at higher CPU speed.

tfan9_0-1603646920651.png

January 26th, 2021 02:00

Hi everybody. I had a similar situation where after updating to the latest firmware for dell G3 3579 the battery did not charge and the keyboard crashed. I fixed it by downgrading the bios version. and of course when downgrading will have a message: BIOS update blocked due to unsupported downgrade. Calmly go to the Dell homepage to download the bios driver with the version closest to the current version (ie downgrading the version to each version ex: 1.3-> 1.2 ->1.1...). Everything is working properly! Good Luck !!!

No Events found!