Highlighted
1 Copper

Backlit Keyboard issues (Dell G5 5500)

Hello,

I don't normally use these message boards and I don't know a lot about computers, so forgive me I leave something important out. So recently purchased a Dell G5 5500 laptop with an RGB backlit keyboard. No matter what I have tried I cannot get it to stay lit for more than 30 seconds. I've tried installing the Dell Feature Enhancement Pack but it doesn't work on Windows 10. I haven't been able to fix it through the windows mobility center or through the BIOS. Up until yesterday I was at least able to change the color using the Alienware Command Center, but now the lights have stopped entirely. Nothing happens anymore when I push the F10 key. I tried emailing Dell support but they took me through all the above steps again and told me to mail my laptop back for repairs when nothing worked, but I can't afford to do that as I'm a college student who needs it for online classes. Is there anything else I can do or do I just bite the bullet and send it back? Also has anyone else had a similar problem? It's really infuriating that I have to go through so much effort for a feature as simple as a light up keyboard, especially considering how expensive it was. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
6 Indium

Re: Backlit Keyboard issues (Dell G5 5500)

Given that the system needs to be totally stripped down to access the keyboard assembly, it's best left to a repair depot. While you could also purchase an on-site service warranty, then the repair is undertaken by a field technician, who may or may not be well versed in this model.  If the keyboard never lights up when the system is powered on, the assembly needs to be replaced - which means everything inside has to come out.

0 Kudos