louRa
1 Copper

Battery LED flashing error codes DELL INSPIRON 5558

My battery LED indicator is flashing three times amber and one-time steady white when the battery is present. What does that mean? I could not find error codes for INSPIRON 5558, only for Vostro and few of them more. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Re: Battery LED flashing error codes DELL INSPIRON 5558

One or more battery cells is faulty - it's time for a new battery.

0 Kudos
louRa
1 Copper

But BIOS nor ePSA diagnostics do not report anything unusual about the battery pack. It's healthy and ok. But now my laptop won't power on only on battery, nor will it work only on battery if I disconnect AC adapter. I can use my laptop only with AC adapter.

0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

The battery logic board doesn't sense all possible failures -- but what you've described is a battery with at least one faulty cell. And just as your car battery won't start your car with a bad cell, the voltage is too low to run the system.  You need a new battery.

0 Kudos
louRa
1 Copper

I tested it on a multimeter, the battery gives me 16.5V and it is a 14.8V battery. I'm starting to think that something blown out on a motherboard, like a fuse or capacitator... Unless Dell has a way to software block the battery ...

0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Did you use a load on the battery?  Without a load, you won't get a true reading.

Since a battery is around $100 or less, while a mainboard is $250+, I'd start with the battery -- unless you're having other issues, from your description, the battery is the source of the problem.

If the system won't run on AC power, that's another matter.  If it will, it's much more likely the battery is bad.

0 Kudos
louRa
1 Copper

It was not under load, it was with a multimeter, I took it out of the laptop. How can I test it under load while inside the laptop? is there some tool, because I'm not sure how to test it on motherboard pins when battery is in and ac power is in...

0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

You need a battery tester -- or a resistor - to simulate the load on the system.

here's a good, simple explanation of what you'd need:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Add-Battery-Test-to-a-Multimeter/