Batifol
1 Nickel

Battery message "plugged in, not charging"

My battery doesn't charge anymore and shows the message "plugged in, not charging". I'm left with 1%.  During the past 3 months, it used to show this message regularly, but would suddenly start charging again. Now, for the past 3 days, no charging AT ALL.

> Inspiron 7348 - win 10 family version from August 2018 - BIOS version A08

> Charger is the original one - I also tested with 1 other DELL charger and 2 other ones, same problem. All the chargers have the little pin inside properly fitted

> In the BIOS, the battery health is 75% "performing normally" - the charger is marked unknown

> I removed the DC IN chip to spray it with "contact spray" - it looked normal and clean

> I removed the battery, connectors are clean - the laptop works when removing the battery and plugged in

I don't know what to do next...

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JOcean
4 Ruthenium

Re: Battery message "plugged in, not charging"

It could be a bad battery or AC adapter but try this first. Unplug the adapter from the laptop. Then remove the battery. Now hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Now reinstall the battery and plug the adapter back in. Check to see if the battery is now charging. If that does not work, try the steps from the following site.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-fix-a-windows-10-laptop-thats-plugged-in-but-not-charging/

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS Z170K i5 6600
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
ejn63
5 Rhenium

If you haven't yet replaced the DC input jack, that's next.  If you have to no effect, or do and there's no change, replace the mainboard.

0 Kudos
Batifol
1 Nickel

Thanks for the bad news ejn63 ;o)
0 Kudos
Batifol
1 Nickel

Thanks JOcean for the tips.

Strangely today, the battery suddenly started charging again, after reaching 0% and the computer shutting down. In that moment, I didn't move the laptop, and the plug either.

I'm glad but skeptical...  it can't be a hardware problem, can it? it's a whim in the electronic circuit, isn't it?

So I'll try these tips when it happens again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ejn63
5 Rhenium

You haven't mentioned replacing the DC jack -- if the issue pops up again, that's the next thing to do.

It can easily be a jack not making a good connection with the logic pin in the center of the adapter plug.

Batifol
1 Nickel

Hi ejn63 & JOcean,

Took me some time to find and receive the parts. I changed the battery, no change, then I changed the DC-in socket, that I tried out with both the original and the new battery.

Still the same problem... It does charge sometimes, so I can live with it, but there is no explainable pattern to when it charges and when not.

I believe it is indeed a motherboard issue then?! Surprising that everything else works perfectly, and when I open the laptop, it all looks really good.

Anyway, thank you both for your help!

0 Kudos