Inspiron

Last reply by 01-10-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Best practice regarding leaving laptop plugged in...

I have a new G5 5500 - bought it for faster image processing in Photoshop, not gaming, but am also using it for work during the day, which is mostly Internet based, but nothing to do with images.

My inclination is to leave the charger plugged in while I'm working all day, then unplug it when done with work in late afternoon. I use the laptop for zoom calls and other things unplugged, to 'exercise' the battery so it can drain down and charge back up - but that's occasional - several times/week, where the plugged in charger is daily practice. There's a lot of conflicting info on what's good to do in terms of battery use/life and if it's ok to leave charger plugged in while working as a daily practice when battery is 100% charged.

Is there any definitive answer now in August, 2020  regarding whether this will shorten battery life in the short or long run, harm battery in any way, or any other ramifications?

Thanks!

Replies (10)

BIOS/UEFI has nothing to do with windows. you press F2 at boot up to access the BIOS I think also F12 will give you an option to open your BIOS/UEFI. you have to be quick to catch it if you have an SSD booting.  Once you're in your BIOS/UEFI , there is a setting you can add a 5-second delay in boot up, for accessing the Quick boot menu F12 or  BIOS/UEFI F2

- Please kudos posts you like!
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.

Inspiron 13 -7386
16GB RAM
Samxung 970 Evo 1TB SSD 2nd SSD 512 GB Hynix

Precision 3440 SFF CTO BASE, VIntel Xeon W-1250 (6 Core, 12M cache, base 3.3GHz, up to 4.7GHz) 16GB 2X8GB DDR4 2666MHz or 2933MHz (2933MHz requires Intel Core i7 or above) UDIMM Non-ECC Memory Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
Latest Solutions
Top Contributor