Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 11th, 2020 04:00

Bios update from device manager?

D Is it safe to update system firmware aka bios from deviceManager of windows by check for drivet update? 

Are the bios files of oem through windows update safe?  

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 11th, 2020 08:00

@Kaioken20  You can't perform a BIOS update through Device Manager.  A BIOS update is a firmware update, not a driver update, and Device Manager does not perform firmware updates.  But yes, Microsoft does sometimes deliver BIOS updates via Windows Updates now, and yes they would be safe.  If you ever want to get a BIOS update manually though, you can do so from support.dell.com.  Enter your Service Tag or system model, then go to Downloads and search "BIOS".

• 

25.1K Posts

July 11th, 2020 09:00

1. Updating the BIOS via Windows updates is fine. However, sometimes it may not be the latest version. For the latest version, we may need to go to the support site.

2. We can check the rpm and temperature y running the hardware test. Run the hardware test: https://dell.to/3ekHbSv and let me know if there are any error message. Once done, select the system health which will show the temperature and the fan rpm.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 11th, 2020 09:00

@Kaioken20  It’s really better to post completely unrelated questions as separate topics, and FYI if you go to support.dell.com and search your model or Service Tag, there’s a Documentation section that includes a lot of helpful information, including a “Setup and Specifications” document. That document mentions support for Intel Optane, which uses NVMe, including one version that uses PCIe x4, so it looks like your system supports NVMe and PCIe x4. However, some systems like older XPS 13 models have PCIe x4 interfaces configured to run in GT2 low power mode rather than GT4 high performance mode, and that results in performance similar to PCIe x2 (max throughput around 1.8 GB/s). Unfortunately that information isn’t shown in specs.

But on another note, be aware that the HDMI port on the Inspiron xx93 systems is limited to 1080p. These systems were initially advertised with HDMI 1.4b ports, which should allow 1440p 60 Hz or 4K 30 Hz, but later it became clear that that wasn’t possible. Dell never explained the problem (never mind fixing it), but it seems they updated their documentation to indicate this, since the Setup and Specifications document for your system now calls this out.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 11th, 2020 15:00

@Kaioken20  You won't be limited to 256 GB.  When Dell quotes a maximum storage capacity in their specs, it's because that's the max storage they actually tested and/or the max they offered from the factory.  There are MANY cases of users successfully using HDDs and SSDs with more capacity than was mentioned in the official specs.  So if you want more storage, buy more storage.

45 Posts

July 11th, 2020 08:00

Thank you for the reply

Can i ask you one more more thing?

my model is dell inspiron 3593 i3 10th gen

does it support nvme ssd? or m.2 sata only?

if nvme is supported?.... is it pcie x2 lane or x4?

45 Posts

July 11th, 2020 10:00

thank you..

.i would soon upgrade storage to nvme.

though i heard from the retailer that it would support max of 256 GB of ssd paired with 1 TB hdd..

but will buy 256 gb anyway..so no worries

45 Posts

July 11th, 2020 10:00

thank you for the reply

i did test once before here but i thought system health would show after i test it.... i never thought i could slide left/right on that big screen of epsc

there was not next or arrow button XD

yes thank you again ..i found the sensor and info about the fan rpm and temp  

No Events found!