Highlighted
1 Copper

Black screen and beeping

Dell laptop
 is having 8 beeps & black screen when I try to power on. Upon pressing the D key with the power button, it seems to start up but then nothing happens. It was just working fine last night. Help! 
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Re: Black screen and beeping

What model computer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

8 beeps means the display isn't recognized.  If it does show a test image, that would leave two other possibilities - the cable that connects the display to the mainboard, or the mainboard itself as the faulty part.

If you need a reference to the service manual to check the cable, please supply the system model number (i.e., Inspiron N5110, 7110, 5555, etc.).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I can’t find the service tag or anything anywhere on it. It’s an Inspiron 15-3537

The sticker on the bottom that is supposed to have the service tag on it is completely rubbed off. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

You'll find the service manual here:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3537/docs

If you do get a self-test (D through powerup) to run, check the cable between the system board and display.  Check both connectors and along the length of the cable.

If you do not get a self-test, replace the display panel (and I'd suggest replacing the cable as well, as they're inexpensive to order with a panel, but the cost will be higher if you have to place a second order and pay for a second round of shipping).

0 Kudos