Chizeba
1 Nickel

Black screen at startup continues indefinitely

I have been having problems with my Dell Inspiron 5000.
I shut it down a few weeks back and have been experiencing a plain black screen when I turn it on, no Dell symbol.
I attempted removing all power sources and holding down the power button, reconnecting the A/C capable and powering the laptop up again. It worked initially but after attempting to restart the laptop the same issue started again and this time removing the battery and A/C power cable and holding down the power button didn’t work.
I thought it could be a hardware problem with the screen itself but I noticed that repeatedly pressing the power button and turning the laptop on and off repeatedly would once in a while bring the laptop back to life and to my delight I’d see the Dell logo and be taken to system repair screen. When trying to repair and restart the laptop the same process described before would happen.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
64 Replies
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

Re: Black screen at startup continues indefinitely

Please list exact Dell model number and version of windows.

Example: Dell Inspiron 5548 (5000 series), windows 10. If don't know, please enter service tag number onto the link below.

Support | Dell US

You should see exact model number in your Dell Product Support page. If you don't know service tag number, follow steps in link below:

How to find Dell Service Tag (Official Dell Tech Support)

https://youtu.be/sDPVSHHN-SY?list=PLdLDGmnHB07NVpbsbTGeiW-NLjpVZufxB 

LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

In the meantime, I suggest you run diagnostic tool to check the Hardware on system by following steps below:

1. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously until you see Preparing One Time Boot Menu in the top right corner of the screen.

2. In Dell Pre-boot menu, select Diagnostic. After quick test finished, select Hard drive and then click Thorough Test Mode. Report back any error code.

Highlighted
Chizeba
1 Nickel

Inspiron 5558, Windows 10.

Also just used the service tag to run diagnostic tests, no problems were brought up.

Have not tried restarting as yet in fear of not being able to use my system. I attempt to boot into the diagnostics now.

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

You did a Custom Test on the hard drive in Dell Online diagnostic tests? 

Dell Diagnostic Tests (Official Dell Tech Support)

https://youtu.be/LPxDpsH1eZU

0 Kudos
Chizeba
1 Nickel

Hi, I ran a complete test, almost everything checked out except the battery, it is reaching the end of its lifetime.
0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

The black screen problem happen only on battery power ? If no, type Settings onto [Cortana] search box, select Update & Security, click on View Installed Update History. Please check if there are failed updates. Any failed windows update could cause problems in the startup or within windows 10. Those  windows updates provide drivers, firmware and other important stuff for the system.

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

If there aren't any failed windows updates:

Type Create A Restore Point onto the search box, click on System Restore, select Next, place check mark within box by Show More Restore Points. I suggest you select the date before the black screen problem occurred. The tool will go back to when the computer work normally.

Note: System Restore does not affect any of your documents, pictures, or any other personal data. Recently installed drivers and programs might be uninstalled

0 Kudos
Chizeba
1 Nickel

I just tried that, I'm getting only one restore point from yesterday before I installed an application (I reinstalled Windows yesterday). There are no older restore points.

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

I reinstalled Windows yesterday

You having any problems thus far since reinstalling windows 10? 

0 Kudos