Chizeba
1 Nickel

Re: Black screen at startup continues indefinitely

The black screen problem is still there. Although my system is a lot faster now, when it eventually decides to work.

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

It could be the windows updates installing in the startup. What is your default browser ? Chrome ? If yes, some of the add-ons (Chrome) are causing problems such as a slow startup or long black screen. By the way, how long does the black screen occurred? 5 -10 seconds, 1 minute ? You tried performing a clean boot to help diagnose the Startup problem. If no, expand windows 10 in link below and then follow steps to perform clean boot. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This might helps eliminate software conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows - support.microsoft.com

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

You could also consider disabling any unnecessary programs running in your Startup such as McAfee. Type Task Manager onto [Cortana] search box, and then click on Startup.   

How To Use Task Manager (Official Dell Tech Support)

0 Kudos
Chizeba
1 Nickel

The black screen can last for days, if Ieave it long enough (longest I've left it is 48hrs and it was still unresponsive). As the title the topic says, it continues indefinitely.

I'll try to clean boot and get back to you.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Chizeba
1 Nickel

I’m attempting to clean boot now. Followed all the steps. But I’ve come across another problem.
When attempting to reboot, the screen showed the usual “Restarting” with the blue background, then the screen went black as expected but hasn’t come back to life since. The same black screen problem as before only this time while attempting to restart. It’s been black for 30 mins now.

I’ll be forced to physically shut down the laptop by long pressing the power button and repeat the process of turning it on and off repeatedly until I see the Dell logo and it boots normally.
0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

Unfortunately none of my troubleshooting steps work thus far. I usually suggest updating System Setup(BIOS) and some of the Dell drivers but I can't because of the long black screen (Startup). Updating the BIOS might cause a problem with the motherboard. I'm guessing the problem is an out dated BIOS or corrupt / outdated hard drive. I have one more suggestion, type Device Manager onto search box, stroll down to Display Adapters and expand it. Right click hard drive (or solid state drive), select Update Driver. If there's a Firmware listed, expand and update as well. By the way, you can check the current BIOS version on the system by typing msinfo32 onto the search box, stroll down to BIOS Version / Date, you should see it now.

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

According to your Dell Product Support page, The latest is BIOS version A15, A15

If updating the hard drive didn't fix the problem, I suggest contacting Dell Technical Support for further assistance in the link below:

Contact Information | Dell US

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Chizeba
1 Nickel

Thanks so much for the help. I'll be sure to contact them. Seems like my system is running BIOS version A14. When I attempt to update the driver it says all is up to date.

LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

Look forward to the update. Thanks 

0 Kudos
Yhdh
1 Copper

I have the same problem which had 

each steps of problem was same as your pc 

i have follwed your conversation and tried to resolve but im not sucess 

please can you tell me have you resoleved