Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 23rd, 2020 12:00

Inspiron 5493, bluetooth gone again

Bluetooth has disappeared from my Inspiron 5493... AGAIN.  This first happened a couple months ago and I finally fixed it by rolling back all software updates.

Last week Microsoft updated Windoze again, and my Bluetooth is gone again.  The Windoze settings for Bluetooth no longer shows a switch to turn it on.  The Windoze trouble shooter says I do not even have an adapter - yet the device settings are somehow able to read the battery level on my "nonexistent" Bluetooth mouse.

Things I've done:

1) Rolled back my System Restore a couple of weeks but that did not help.

2) Downloaded from Dell the current Bluetooth/WiFi device driver and installed it, but that did not help.

3) Reloaded the BIOS with the original factory settings which was no help.

4) What's really aggravating is that the Dell advisor, or whatever you call it, just ran on my machine again and claims all is well.  Really?  There's no Bluetooth function and Dell thinks this is ok?  That says something about the value of letting that run.

I really cannot afford to spend hours on this every two months.  What do you suggest I do next?  As much as I like the Inspiron, this is just an intolerable miscommunication between Dell & Microsoft software.

June 1st, 2020 10:00

Ok, this is finally solved.  The Dell support people have been asking me to try a lot of various things.  It was finally solved sort of accidentally.

They asked me to run the BIOS startup diagnostics (By hitting F12 during boot and following various prompts).  After the diagnostics ran for quite a long time it finished up telling me there were no problems with the computer.  However, after the diagnostics ran my Bluetooth came back to life.  I was able to reload all the Microsoft updates I had removed and my Bluetooth still works.

I don't know how long things will continue to work, but it looks good for the time being.

5.6K Posts

May 23rd, 2020 13:00

What is the Hardware ID of the Bluetooth device in Device Manager?

Sometimes you can get updated drivers from the manufacturer's website. I did that recently for an older laptop for its chipset driver.

Somehow other responses I've sent you to other notes don't seem to be showing up in this thread.  No idea where they're going.

-----------------

Please pardon my confusion.  Dell is running a private session at the same time this one runs publicly.  I've been confused as to which person I was responding.

Oh, and by the way your scan claims all drivers are current.

My original note said I reloaded the BIOS to the factory version.

I haven't fooled with the chipset (CPU?) drivers.

I did download the Bluetooth driver from Dell but it made no difference.

And the Device Manager does not show any Bluetooth device.  I believe it's the same driver as the wi-fi adapter which shows up as Qualcomm QCA9377 801.11ac Wireless Adapter, and which does seem to be working properly with wi-fi.  I just don't know if the Device Manager originally showed a separate Bluetooth entry or not.

I also ran software from the Dell website which purports to have verified that I have the proper device drivers for everything. 

This machine is only a few months old, so I presume they still know what drivers are best for it, but...

5.6K Posts

Update the BIOS ?

Update the chipset driver?

May 23rd, 2020 14:00

Whoa!  Playing around with the Device Manager I checked a box to "Show hidden devices".  Now I do see a Bluetooth device category.  I'll have to reboot and play with this a bit to see if anything there helps.

No Events found!