Rialeigh
1 Copper

Booting Issue

Hello.

Whenever I try to turn my Dell Inspiron 14  laptop, it goes to the dell logo with a message at the upper right corner that says "Diagnostic Booth Selected" then promptly blacks out. 

What can i do to fix this issue? Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Re: Booting Issue

Go into setup - is the hard drive showing up there (F2 at powerup)?

0 Kudos
Rialeigh
1 Copper

Hello. Before i can even press any key, my laptop blacks out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alex8789
1 Nickel

Remove the charger if its connected,unplug the battery if battery is a removable unit,  press and hold the Power button and shut down the system- Press and hold the Fn key on the keyboard and while holding Fn key start the system- it will run hardware test- if hardware test pass then go to BIOS by tapping F2 key on dell logo when system starts, reset the BIOS (In tree type BIOS) to default by clicking on restore setting/default settings  then exit

Press F9 and then press F10 to make BIOS default in case BIOS has different layout.

If system boots then well and good if not then go to boot sequence in BIOS by tapping F2 when system starts and click on add boot list option and write "Windows Boot Manager" in boot option name which is blank and in file name option write " /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI " and then click on three dots in small box like you see in below pic and then hit on OK and hit exit- system should boot to Windows. Pic shown below

Capture.JPGBIOS

In case this does not resolve then you might have to go to the Advanced options if that option is coming after system restart- go to advance option then click on troubleshoot and then click on advance option then try system restore- if system restore did not resolve the issue then go for RESET or factory image restore through advance option but you will lose all the data on the system.

If system does not go to the  advance option then unfortunately windows might have gone corrupt- you might have to reinstall the OS-  arrange a empty USB flash drive of 8 GB and alternate system with Internet access.

Note- reinstalling the OS will delete all the data on the system

Visit the link below on how to reinstall OS in Dell system

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/osiso/recoverytool/wt64a

0 Kudos
Rialeigh
1 Copper

Thank you for all those who replied to my query. My dad got it fixed for me.

0 Kudos