Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

7 Posts

December 26th, 2021 08:00

Brand New Laptop broken key

E12E975D-6F70-4EEE-9AFE-EBA3133E09A5.jpeg

I brought two Dell Inspiron 14 laptops for Christmas presents, just opened to set up for my kids and one has a broken keyboard. The O key is wobbly and sticking up into the air.

Very frustrating for a brand new laptop and one disappointed child. No luck from Dell support as everything is closed.  

Is this a common problem with Dell laptops? I’m obviously very nervous for the quality of them both now. 

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

First of all sorry to hear that you have a problem with the new system and I can understand the disappointment.

What is the exact model number of the Inspiron? This web page may help and there are a huge number of sources on the Internet describing how to relocate the key. This video may help as well. However if you are not comfortable attempting any repair then I would strongly suggest calling Dell tech support and they can assist with repairs.

7 Posts

Thanks for the reply, it’s a Inspiron 14, 5410. I’ve had a Google and I’ve seen articles on how to fox broken keys, but I don’t expect to need to try and fix a brand new laptop or even if I did surely it’s faulty and will not last? 

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

Very possibly a piece may be broken and in that case a tech will replace the entire keyboard. I agree that with a new computer probably best to let Dell handle it with a warranty repair. Within 30 days you have a choice to return for a refund, exchange the system, or have it repaired. The choice is yours and Dell service can assist you with that.

7 Posts

December 27th, 2021 01:00

So I’ve spoken to Dell who have said because the laptop was received over 14 days ago I’m out of luck as I should have reported it then. 

Would not listen that it was a Christmas present so why would I open it before to check as it’s presumed brand new equipment is not broken. 

Then after asking to speak to their manager as they was rude and unhelpful they hang up. 

7 Posts

December 27th, 2021 02:00

Does anyone know how to complain to Dell? 

I keep getting hung up on when I ask to be transferred to complaints or to speak to their manager.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

December 27th, 2021 03:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @Retsub79 

Have you tried to gentle push the key back into place?

Just put your thumb on it and push.

Best regards,

U2

7 Posts

December 27th, 2021 03:00

Yes I’ve tried that, the key has come off and retainer clip is in two pieces and doesn’t seem to go back together.

7 Posts

January 14th, 2022 11:00

• Dell are still refusing to replace the brand new laptop broken out of the box
  • They collected it for repair
  • Contacted me saying they need to replace the case but they don’t have an exact match and would a different one be ok 
  • I said no as it’s brand new laptop 
  • Now they’ve gone dark, ignoring my emails 
  • Via the WhatsApp support we keep getting they’ll get back to us 
  • They’ve now had the laptop for 2 weeks and seem to just want to hope I go away 

I’m still in shock with how poor of a service I have, so will need to look into getting legal advice, does anyone know the correct contact for Dell complaints, as whenever I’ve got onto the phone I get hung up on. Or what ombudsman they come under?

January 18th, 2022 07:00

The return period is actually 30 calendar days in USA.

https://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/vn/terms-conditions/art-us-return-policy

No Events found!