Highlighted
2 Bronze

Brand new Dell Inspiron 5570 with broken HDD cable

Bought the unit with 2TB drive, because SSD capacity too small. Then obtained Samsung 512GB SSD. Then opened the Inspiron. Much harder than my Vostro and my old D520. Did this very carefully (me IT expert 40+ years).

The metal cradle looked slightly bent. When I unscrewed it, it sort-of sprung up. i.e. bent. Replaced 2TB with SSD. ( I must assume that an un-qualified after-service person had trouble replacing the default SSD with my 2TB drive )

Boot sequence says NO HARD DRIVE

Take it apart again. Yes, I can see a tear in the cable, where it attaches to the ATA.

How do I know that this one had a bent cradle. I bought 2 Identical Inspirons. The other now has SSD. I always buy at least 2, cause if the one and only breaks, you have no laptop to order a new one.

Called Dell Australia for Spare Parts. Spoke to a nice guy in Malaysia. Only resolution he could offer is to take the unit to the nearest Dell Shop. I live VERY remote i.e. 1.5 hours to small town and then 600km flight to Sydney? All for a stupid $8 cable? Dell should be ashamed !

Other forums and search results suggest similar great Dell service and to buy the part elsewhere. Like on eBay from France for $97 ? How about Aliexpress, who cannot deliver, cause my town is not in their list. And btw, none of my searches have matched the actual part number NBX00028C00, but I was hoping that another 15 5000 Inspiron may work, but on most pictures, the cable looks to short or doesn't have wings.

I have been a faithfull Dell customer for at least 18 years. Is this what is now called "service".

Any help from anyone ?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
6 Indium

Re: Brand new Dell Inspiron 5570 with broken HDD cable

On a brand-new system that arrived damaged, best bet:  have it replaced with a working system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Yes, but to do that, they want me to drive 1.5hrs then fly 2 hrs, just to go to their shop.

Pitty, but it is not heavy enough for a boat anchor 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

Is that where you picked up the system, or was it shipped to you?  They should take care of it by parcel post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Plenty of sources for this, its a cable just order one from a known source and have it shipped. Not sure what other solution you are looking for? The cable is bad and it appears its too much trouble to return it to a service place. If you get the Dell part # it should cross reference to a third party supplier. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

To recap the points in my original post:

A) I think it arrived damaged, however I am happy to take blame and say that I broke it.

B) Dell telephone support tells me I must take the unit back to a Dell shop. Nearest is 600km away, so the cost of the travel and waiting in a hotel for Dell to fix it, will cost more than the laptop.

C) If I did take it to Dell, they would agree that the cable is broken and they would then obtain a new cable. Any reason they cannot just send me the cable and charge me for their troubles?

D) I searched extensively using combinations of "Dell Inspiron 15 5000 5570 HDD cable" plus or minus the actual part number i.e. NBX00028C00. I have found other Inspiron cables, but they are not long enough (40mm) or they do not have wings. A suggested good site would be helpful. Maybe a Dell person could suggest where to obtain it ?

So between my initial post and this one, I feel I have clearly stated my problem, my attempts at fixing it and my limitations. Please absorb the details in these posts before asking obvious questions. Best response will be for someone to tell me WHERE I CAN BUY A CABLE WITH DELL PART NUMBER NBX00028C00 ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hey Man U think u can text me on Instagram meadowdreams_ and did you’re computer say hard drive not found when u first launched it ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Good idea. Can you suggest a supplier ?

0 Kudos