Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

January 12th, 2018 05:00

Brand new Inspiron 7000 series gaming laptop shuts down unexpectedly on battery

Brand new Inspiron 7000 series gaming laptop shuts down unexpectedly on battery.  Battery has plenty of power left.  OK on mains power.

January 14th, 2018 00:00

Switched on with battery only this morning and it unexpectedly shut down after 10 minutes.

So that last driver upgrade had no effect on the problem.

78 Posts

January 14th, 2018 02:00

Until the bios will be improved for this purpose, we have nothing to look for. I only hope that this is not a hardware problem.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 14th, 2018 10:00

I notice only two entries different from my listing.  First you show you time Zone a GMT Standard instead of one of the US zones.

Also, and you may have just left it out, is the entry below which should be just below the Page File entry..

Virtualization-based security  Not Enabled

I don't know if either entry would effect your system but not certain it could have some impact.

January 14th, 2018 11:00

Time zone is correct as I am in the UK.

The other entry to which you refer I cannot see how to create this.

From other info in this thread I am inclined to think it is a BIOS problem as others seem to think that the problem did not exist until the BIOS was upgraded from 1.1.0.

I tried down grading but the system did not permit it and anyway BIOS 1.2.0 cured a restart from sleep bug and 1.4.0 refers to a security fix which I would assume is important.

Thank you for the suggestions.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 14th, 2018 12:00

@vintage_wireless wrote:

Time zone is correct as I am in the UK.

The other entry to which you refer I cannot see how to create this.

From other info in this thread I am inclined to think it is a BIOS problem as others seem to think that the problem did not exist until the BIOS was upgraded from 1.1.0.

I tried down grading but the system did not permit it and anyway BIOS 1.2.0 cured a restart from sleep bug and 1.4.0 refers to a security fix which I would assume is important.

Your system shows in the US.  Again, probably not relevant but there have been problems with such things as Windows Updates if system times were not correct.

I do not know how to add the missing entry.  I assume it is a Bios setting somehow.

I just enabled Power Sharing in my Bios and will see if it has any effect.

I have to think if the problem was solely a Bios upgrade then it would effected my system.  It is more likely to be the Bios upgrade is changing some parameter related to some component used in system built around the middle of 2017.  I do know that variations in a specific voltage can cause a system to shut down for its own protection.  If that were to be the case here, it would imply some component to allow that voltage to go out of limits.

There are entries in the Bios for a couple of things.  Restoring an old Bios which you might be able to do from the Maintenance section or checking Log files written by the Bios.

January 14th, 2018 13:00

Just to clarify:

Is your system an Inspiron 15 7000 series gaming laptop with BIOS 1.4.0?

Is or is not shutting down unexpectedly when running purely on battery?

What was the manufacture date?

Thanks

2 Posts

January 14th, 2018 14:00

I could downgrade to BIOS 1.1.0 from 1.4.0 following the methods given by LSUFAN51. Thanks! Hope that my laptop works fine now.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 14th, 2018 14:00

@vintage_wireless wrote:

Just to clarify:

Is your system an Inspiron 15 7000 series gaming laptop with BIOS 1.4.0?

Is or is not shutting down unexpectedly when running purely on battery?

What was the manufacture date?

Thanks

It is a Inspiron 15 7567 I received in March 2017.  It has not exhibited either a return from sleep or shutdown problem and is running 1.4.0 Bios.  I have run my system down to 6% battery while testing without encountering any problems.

The other thread has quite a bit if info but if there are differences in my system and those having the problem, I have not been able to find it.  The Dell person which had a system showing the same problem stated the tech folks had not been able to duplicate the problem consistently and were not currently working on a fix.

I was hoping someone would have changed something on their system, like the battery to see if just that helped.  But shipping batteries may be problematic currently.

72 Posts

January 14th, 2018 18:00

Inspiron 15 7000 gaming 7567 has been on battery for two hours and no shutdown. Bios is updated to 1.04 months ago.

Just saw this thread and I usually run on ac power. Thought I would try it on battery for a time.

I don't tax the thing with games, 'light user'.

Maybe I got lucky

January 14th, 2018 21:00

Hi All,

I bought 7567 laptop on DEC 30 2017 from day one on wards im facing this issue after updating all drivers and s/w.i complained dell about the issue they told may there is issue with battery and it should be replaced they booked home service technician came to home and replaced the battery and told to keep it in observation if issue persists they told to mail them after replacing the battery also still my system shutdowns randomly

https://www.dell.com/community/General/Dell-Inspiron-15-7000-is-turning-off-and-restarting-after-BIOS/td-p/5168544/page/19

As mentioned in the above blog i downgraded bios to 1.1.0 its working fine

But im not understanding why dell is not providing a solution for this even after so many complaints

78 Posts

January 15th, 2018 07:00

did anyone check the beta 1.4 after January 10? This is the second version of the bios 1.4. This problem is now solved dell.to/2Dh2gP2.

78 Posts

there were two versions 1.4 one in December two in January 10 you installed the one from 10?

I installed the Jan 10 version - not a beta as far as I know.  Didn't see a previous 1.4.0 - only a 1.2.0 which I had installed to removed a restore from sleep bug.

Where is beta 1.4?  The link provided leads to the same 1.4.0 I have already (same date and size).

2 Posts

January 15th, 2018 09:00

I too facing the same problem. Post me the solution if you get it

No Events found!