Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

January 12th, 2018 05:00

Brand new Inspiron 7000 series gaming laptop shuts down unexpectedly on battery

Brand new Inspiron 7000 series gaming laptop shuts down unexpectedly on battery.  Battery has plenty of power left.  OK on mains power.

23 Posts

January 12th, 2018 11:00

There was a thread about this problem in the last version of the forum (it updated today). I had the same problem. The problem is related to the bios version your laptop is on. The problem doesn't occur with bios 1.1.0. Don't downgrade tho, some version of bios wouldn't allow the downgrade anymore so.. Better wait until dell support-user on this forum replies with more information. 

I just found the threat! This link will guide you further: https://www.dell.com/community/General/Dell-Inspiron-15-7000-is-turning-off-and-restarting-after-BIOS/m-p/5168544#M933727

I'm waiting on a bios update too. Dell should step up his game, I'm waiting for almost 3 months for a bios update without shutdowns. 

23 Posts

January 12th, 2018 12:00

There are so many people with this problem. I don't understand why Dell isn't fixing this. I think I had the same 'sleep' problem as you had; my screen went green after waking the laptop from sleep modus. 

23 Posts

There are so many people with this problem. I don't understand why Dell isn't fixing this. I think I had the same 'sleep' problem as you had; my screen went green after waking the laptop from sleep modus. In the link they also explain how you can go to the correct bios when your computer won't allow it.  

Thank you for responding.  So it seems it is a known problem.  I checked Dell support for new drivers etc and found a new BIOS update 1.4.0 dated 10 Jan 2018 and installed it.  It does not appear to address the issue we have.

Before I noticed this shutdown problem I had a "restart from sleep" problem which was resolved by a previous BIOS update. 

Dell support would not help me as I bought this laptop from Currys/PC World and Dell said the seller looks after support under warrantee. Currys were no help with the "restart from sleep" problem and I am now awaiting a response from them on the latest problem.

I had mistakenly assumed Dell would be a trouble free purchase based on previous desktop purchases (Dell Dimension 9200).

January 12th, 2018 13:00

I have sent support requests to Dell and Currys/PC World.

2 Posts

January 12th, 2018 16:00

After the 1.4.0 BIOS update, same problem with me and the update on 10 Jan, 2018 didn't work as well. With so many users having the same problem, Dell should address this soon.

1 Message

January 12th, 2018 16:00

Ive been having the same exact problem! If someone could find a solution please help

1 Message

January 13th, 2018 10:00

im sorry my answer isnt a solution but me and my friend both purchased the same Dell inspiron 7567 gaming laptop on Dec/2017 from bestbuy and my bios update had no issues im ok so far no battery issues, but my friend is having same problem as u guys. we tried to narrow down the issue but one thing he did that i didnt was close out and remove dell support assist software.( he did this cause he claimed that it slowed his cpu too much with too many processes open at once) i do not know if u guys did the same thing but we think that is why this problem occured. if that isnt it it could be hardware or software problem possibly and not your fault.. hope you guys get your issues resolved soon cause its a really decent laptop for the price :)

January 13th, 2018 10:00

Thanks for that Eddie,

I have just had a response from Dell support.

They said do a hard reset (I assume they mean set BIOS to default but I have asked for clarification).

They also said try a known good battery - I suggested they could send me one!

I made the mistake of contacting the US support website although I am in the UK.

I will check the BIOS settings although as I haven't changed them from new I expect they are at default.

January 13th, 2018 11:00

I have just tried resetting the BIOS to BIOS defaults and to Factory defaults and the shutdowns still occur with both settings.

msinfo gives:

System model Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc 1.4.0 11/12/17

SMBIOS version 3.0

This is all of it:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-20R8IJA
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 0798
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.4.0, 11/12/2017
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.16299.192"
User Name DESKTOP-20R8IJA\brunt
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 11.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.2 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.9 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 13th, 2018 11:00

:BigSmile:

Please verify the system is a  Dell Inspiron 7567 (7000 series). Also, verify the BIOS version on the system.

Type msinfo32 onto the [Cortana] search box, stroll down the System Model and BIOS Version / Date. 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 13th, 2018 12:00

Downgrading the BIOS(version 1.4.0) to version 1.1.0 appears to fix the problem, therefore I would suggest you try the steps to downgrade in link below:

Downgrading the System BIOS on a Dell System | Dell US

Also, KoRnTuNeS offer a possible downgrade solution on page 10:

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is turning off and restarting after ...

EDIT:

In another forum someone found BIOS downgrade method for BIOS 1.4.0 versions. I'm telling you step by step;

• First you shut down the computer completely.
  • Then, while the computer is turned off, hold down the left Ctrl + Esc keys and connect the charging cable to the computer. The computer will start up automatically.
  • We continue to hold down Ctrl + Esc until the BIOS Recovery window appears.
  • After the BIOS Recovery window arrives, select "Rollback" and continue, the BIOS will be downgraded after the computer restarts itself.
  • After this, you can now install BIOS 1.1.0. Now your automatic shutdown problem will be resolved.

Do not update your BIOS to versions above 1.1.0 until Dell engineers solve this automatic shutdown problem.

:

January 13th, 2018 13:00

CTRL/ESC + power lead did not work.  Power light flashed on briefly and then nothing even after 30 seconds.

Then tried the official way.

Downloaded BIOS 1.1.0 and ran it as admin to try to go from 1.4.0 to 1.1.0  Laptop turned off and restarted and reported that the downgrade was not permitted.  Tried to go from 1.4.0 to 1.2.0 with the same result.

I had previously upgraded to 1.2.0 (presumably from 1.1.0) to get rid of the restart from sleep problem soon after I bought it.

78 Posts

January 13th, 2018 13:00

I have the same problem. On bios 1.2 and 1.4 it occurs when I use a battery. I wrote to support della have something to do with it. Waiting with no suspicion for further della steps. Does every inspiron 7567 have this problem?

January 13th, 2018 14:00

Clearly more than one has the problem.

I have just installed "Intel-Management-Engine-Interface-Driver_7CDG2_WIN_11.7.0.1054_A02" from Dell drivers and downloads after doing a driver update scan.

Hasn't shut down yet after over 30 minutes but will have to see how it goes.

No Events found!