Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 30th, 2022 06:00

CPU upgrade on Dell Inspiron 17R 7720 SE Motherboard Dell 04M3ym for Windows 11

CPU upgrade on Dell Inspiron 17R 7720 SE

Hi Dell,

I've been looking to upgrade the CPU in my laptop which is between 5-6 years old at this point. I am looking to get into some more video editing and I think an improved processor could be of benefit to me.

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 17R 7720 SE Laptop.

The processor is: Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM

Motherboard details are as follows:

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

Product: 04M3YM

Serial Number: .

.CN486432650638.

Version: A00

591 Posts

September 30th, 2022 06:00

Hello,

This is not possible you can't upgrade the cpu of a laptop .

591 Posts

September 30th, 2022 09:00

Also if you plan on video editing that will not be on the 7720 model unless you are a verry patient man or woman.Video editing requires a dedicated graphics card and at least 32GB ram memory.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

September 30th, 2022 14:00

Other replies are of note, but this system is ten years old - it was current in 2012.  Though the CPU is replaceable, there's nothing you can use that will be supported under Windows 11.

You're at the max for CPU speed on this system - anything you can still use will be a lateral move.

And as noted, if you want to do video editing, you need a new system, period.  This one will not handle that remotely well.

115 Posts

September 30th, 2022 10:00

Hmmmmmmm.

What did you actually do in the last two four years?

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cpu-upgrade-on-dell-inspiron-17r-7720-se.3323889/

I highly recommend you to look for nice offerings where you just get yourself a good successor of your current notebook.

Cheers,

Steve

591 Posts

September 30th, 2022 14:00

you're right the manual does say you can replace the cpu on that model but on a model that old .... anyway i am sorry for being wrong about that.

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

September 30th, 2022 15:00

Hmm, I seem to be running Windows 11 just fine on my 2012 vintage (Core I7 3520M) Latitude E6530.  Though I'm not using it for video editing, it does have a discrete Nvidia NVS 5200M graphics chip. Bet I could edit some video with this machine.  I wouldn't use it for professional video editing but I bet it could do it for small personal projects.  Seems to run pretty well given the vintage.  A fast Samsung SATA SSD helps.

-Ray

2 Posts

September 30th, 2022 15:00

Thankyou everyone for replying.  Its just time to move on to a new laptop. this laptop was good for what it was used for. I learned a few things along the way as well so thank you for your replies.

115 Posts

September 30th, 2022 18:00

It really depends on what you want to do and achieve. My fiance has a  9 year old notebook, i upgraded the hdd and ram and windows 10 works fine with it. Did the same with my mothers notebook as well as my dads notebook - they are all around 7-9 years old. I also had to repaste two of them and give them a good cleaning and all. Decent machines for browsing, watching youtube videos, email and so on, but i would never recommend anyone of them to edit videos with those - you can try and do that, but i doubt that it will be fun.

On my fiances notebook i did use various audio producing stuff without any problem, but i decided to buy myself a actual proper machine for it. Again - check out for nice bargains - im sure you will find something not too expensive which will be a insane boost to what you have now. You still can use it as a office pc or whatsoever.

All the best!

Cheers

Steve

No Events found!