Dogugotw
1 Nickel

Can I delete downloaded nvidia update files?

Inspiron 17 7779 2-in-1

Can I delete files found in C:\ProgramData\Dell\Update\Downloads?

This laptop has a SSD and I'm trying to keep the C: drive as lean as possible.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Can I delete downloaded nvidia update files?

Very likely yes, but to be safe you could try just renaming the folder you're thinking about deleting and then seeing i there are any adverse effects first.  And as a general tip, if you're trying to keep an eye on disk consumption, check out an application called TreeSize Free.  It's available as a portable app so you don't even have to install it, and to scan your C drive you'll want to run it as administrator for accurate results, but basically it shows the size of folders and lists them from largest to smallest and continues that sort arrangement for subfolders as you drill down, so it can very quickly show you where your disk capacity is being consumed and focus your cleanup efforts.

0 Kudos
Dogugotw
1 Nickel

In reverse order:

I use WinDirStat (also a portable app) to analyze my drives which is how I found this 'update' directory and flagged it as a candidate for deletion.

I'm a bit nervous about changing the dir name in the event that the files are needed; they're nvidia files and if they're required, my monitor could just go black.

I will probably just leave them in place for now; they only save me 1.8 gb if deleted and I'm not critical on space. If I do go critical, I'll probably just clone the SDD, install a newer/bigger one, and restore the clone to the new drive. I  did that once before and it worked like a charm.

Thank you so very much for your reply; it is very much appreciated!

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

The driver that Windows was actually using to run your hardware would never be located there.  Based on the folder path, the worst that could happen would be that the Dell Update application might throw errors about missing download packages.  The drivers for your GPU and everything else are in folders like C:\Windows\System32\Drivers, in fact you can see for yourself by going to Device Manager, opening the properties for any device you want, going to the Drivers tab, and clicking "Driver details".

0 Kudos
Dogugotw
1 Nickel

OK, that makes total sense. Thanks.

0 Kudos