Highlighted
Mason Lippy
1 Copper

Can I upgrade my SSD on the G7 15?

Just wondering if I can upgrade my 128gb SSD to possible a 250gb or even a 500gb. This is my c drive so does anyone also know how to transfer everyone from one SSD to the new SSD? Thanks 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JOcean
4 Ruthenium

Re: Can I upgrade my SSD on the G7 15?

The G7 15 supports and has been tested by Dell to support up to a 1TB NVME SSD. Transferring from one NVME drive to another is a bit tricky. You can use a program like Macrium Reflect Free to make a backup file to an external drive or, if you also have an internal HDD, to that drive. Then using the Macrium create a rescue USB to boot from and restore the backup to the new drive. Of course if you do not have anything important to keep you can always clean install Windows 10 on the new drive. The following video describes how to install an NVME drive and use of Macrium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMLRGhNvgB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZqkYnmDnas&t=10s

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
In this video, I show you how to install an SSD module (M.2 2280 slot) in a Dell Inspiron 5570 Laptop. With an 8th Generation Intel i5-8250U processor, 8GB RAM, and a 1 TB 5400rpm hard drive, the one thing slowing the laptop down the most is the hard drive. I'll install an Intel HP 360GB SSD by ...
In this video, I show you how to copy the factory-installed Windows on a 1TB hard drive, to a 360 GB M.2 SSD on a Dell Inspiron 5570. I'll use Macrium Reflect Free to clone all six partitions to the SSD - including the bootable Windows partition - and I'll boot from the SSD. In a previously ...
augustl
2 Iron

@Mason Lippy wrote:

Just wondering if I can upgrade my 128gb SSD to possible a 250gb or even a 500gb. This is my c drive so does anyone also know how to transfer everyone from one SSD to the new SSD? Thanks 

Just upgraded mine to 1TB Samsung 970 Evo and it's great.

I completely reinstalled Windows because transferring would have been slower (Windows installed in 5 minutes). Just copy your important files from your current 128gb SSD to another drive, then copy them back once Windows is reinstalled

0 Kudos
boo-little-k
1 Copper

augustl, is that the MZ-V7E1T0BW model you got for the 970 Evo? I'm trying to make sure I get the right component for my G7. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Kipp1985
1 Copper

If you do a fresh install of windows, what do you do about the product key?  Will the install pick that up from your motherboards MAC?  Or have to buy a new copy of windows?  Thanks!

0 Kudos

Kipp1985,

Once you do a fresh install of Windows the product key is stored on on a chip and will be automatically detected. You do not need to purchase another key code. Below is information to download and install Dell OEM Windows 10.

How to Download and Use the Dell OS Recovery Image in Microsoft Windows

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos