Highlighted
valentin_b
1 Nickel

Can Inspiron 5570 boot from NVMe M.2 SSD?

Jump to solution

Hi there! First off all, sorry for my English. It's not so good.

I have Inspiron 5570 with HDD. I want to acquire M.2 SSD and install OS (Ubuntu) there. But I heared, that some motherboards does not support NVMe and trerefore can not boot OS from such drive (it works only with OS drivers).

Shall I get any troubles with NVMe drive? Can I install NVMe M.2 SSD or I should choose SATA M.2 SSD?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: Can Inspiron 5570 boot from NVMe M.2 SSD?

Jump to solution

@valentin_b, you may also want to look at this thread, including the link in that thread to another one about the Inspiron 5770.  Both of those threads have multiple people using NVMe SSDs in this system and the Inspiron 5770, which is from the same family of systems, just in case you needed extra confirmation.  They also indicate that the NVMe interface uses 4 PCIe lanes, not 2 as was suggested above.  The 2-lane limit there may be related specifically to Intel Optane modules.  However, despite using 4 lanes, this system has another bottleneck source that means an NVMe SSD will max out at around 1.8 GB/s, even if the SSD you install can go faster.  I would argue that spending more on an NVMe SSD is still worth it because even 1.8 GB/s is roughly 3x faster than the best SATA SSD, but if saving money is the priority, then of course SATA will be cheaper.  If you go NVMe, I would recommend the Samsung 970 Evo.  If you go SATA, I would recommend the Samsung 860 Evo, which is available in M.2 form factor.

29 Replies
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

According to this thread where an official Dell rep posted specs from the system, the Inspiron 5570 supports NVMe.  Claiming support for the NVMe standard (rather than just PCIe SSDs) requires that the system be able to boot from an NVMe SSD rather than just access them as data drives. However, if you want to use Ubuntu, you will probably need to go into your BIOS Setup and change the SATA Operation setting to AHCI. If it is currently set to RAID, it would mean the Intel Rapid Storage controller is enabled, and I don't think Ubuntu supports newer versions of that controller.  Switching to AHCI will disable it, and you don't need it anyway.  However, if you have an existing OS installation you want to preserve, making this change will probably render it unbootable.  If you plan to perform a clean install of Ubuntu and don't need to preserve anything, then just make this change before you attempt to install Ubuntu and you will be fine.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

The system only shows a SATA Storage Interface.  If the info from Dell is correct, I would save the money and use the less expensive M.2 SATA drive.

Yes, it does show capable of using a PCIe NVMe drive but that would not be run using the NVMe controller.

The system does show it will support Optane memory with 2 PCIe lanes and NVMe 1.1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

@Saltgrass wrote:

The system only shows a SATA Storage Interface.  If the info from Dell is correct, I would save the money and use the less expensive M.2 SATA drive.

Yes, it does show capable of using a PCIe NVMe drive but that would not be run using the NVMe controller.

The system does show it will support Optane memory with 2 PCIe lanes and NVMe 1.1

If you look at the Service Manual here, the Storage section (Table 13) clearly mentions NVMe SSDs up to 512GB, so no it's not just SATA storage or just Intel Optane -- and that table incidentally is exactly what the Dell rep posted in the thread I linked.

And claiming that the system can run a PCIe NVMe drive but it would not be run using the NVMe controller!?  Where do you come up with this nonsense, Saltgrass?  If the system has an NVMe interface, it must have a controller to actually run it, and a controller that runs an NVMe interface is by definition an NVMe controller, even if there may be another controller like the Intel RST controller in front of that when RAID mode is enabled.  Why do you insist on phrasing things to suggest that you're speaking fact when that couldn't be further from the truth, even going so far as to put the very word of your sentence that renders it false in bold text?

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

@valentin_b, you may also want to look at this thread, including the link in that thread to another one about the Inspiron 5770.  Both of those threads have multiple people using NVMe SSDs in this system and the Inspiron 5770, which is from the same family of systems, just in case you needed extra confirmation.  They also indicate that the NVMe interface uses 4 PCIe lanes, not 2 as was suggested above.  The 2-lane limit there may be related specifically to Intel Optane modules.  However, despite using 4 lanes, this system has another bottleneck source that means an NVMe SSD will max out at around 1.8 GB/s, even if the SSD you install can go faster.  I would argue that spending more on an NVMe SSD is still worth it because even 1.8 GB/s is roughly 3x faster than the best SATA SSD, but if saving money is the priority, then of course SATA will be cheaper.  If you go NVMe, I would recommend the Samsung 970 Evo.  If you go SATA, I would recommend the Samsung 860 Evo, which is available in M.2 form factor.

valentin_b
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

@jphughan wrote:

@valentin_b, you may also want to look at this thread, including the link in that thread to another one about the Inspiron 5770.

Thank you!

I did not immediately notice that thread.
I had doubted because of contradictory information from forums. Member of some forum reported a problem with booting from NVMe SSD in different notebook.

Doubts are dispelled now.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

@jphughan wrote:

@Saltgrass wrote:

If you look at the Service Manual here, the Storage section (Table 13) clearly mentions NVMe SSDs up to 512GB, so no it's not just SATA storage or just Intel Optane -- and that table incidentally is exactly what the Dell rep posted in the thread I linked.

It does show a PCIe NVMe drive may be used.  It does not say there is a Storage PCIe NVMe Interface.

The below is what my XPS 13 9365 shows...

Storage
Table 10. Storage specifications

Interface
• SATA 6 Gbps

PCIe 8 Gbps

Hard drive One M.2 SSD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
ghkaushik
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Certainly. 

Recently I installed Samsung 970 EVO 250GB in my 5570 (i7). At first I just cloned my HDD and changed boot drive HDD to SSD. Machine was booting from SSD without any issues, only Samsung Magician was showing that 'Interface not supported', but it was running the performance check which was showing read speed 1800 and write speed 1500.  After a few days I changed mode 'RAID to AHCI' from BIOS and installed fresh Windows and Samsung SSD driver, Samsung Magician confirmed the Interface : PCIEe Gen. 3 X 4. But no improvement in read speed. I contacted with Dell Support, they remotely tried to solve the issue but no positive result found. Then they decided to replace the mother board and yesterday Dell technician came to my place along with a new mother board, replaced it, but no better result. (I really appreciate Dell for their support and endeavor to solve the issue, thanks to Dell). 

I do agree with 'jphughan' that "...despite using 4 lanes, this system has another bottleneck source that means an NVMe SSD will max out at around 1.8 GB/s, even if the SSD you install can go faster".

However I am satisfied with my SSD as I am getting 3 times faster speed than any SATA SSD, system is booting in seconds and applications are opening on just a click.

Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

@ghkaushik, if you can show an NVMe driver, then the manual is written differently than my other systems.

I checked my 7567 with the 960 EVO with both the NVMe driver and SATA/PCIe driver speeds of 3000 MB/s were the same with the AHCI and RAID modes. So it appears they have upgraded the Intel drivers and even now call them "SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller". 

My XPS 13 9365 still only does the slower (2 Lane) speeds.

And, like you, the Samsung Magician software would not run when in the RAID mode due to no compatible device.

0 Kudos
ghkaushik
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

@Saltgrass When my machine was running on RAID mode Samsung NVMe driver denied to be installed and Magician was not working with its full functionalities and showing 'interface not supported' but detected the SSD and only the Performance Benchmark was performing speed checking. After changing to AHCI mode the Samsung NVMe driver installed without any issue and Magician started to work with its full functionalities and showing the NVMe Driver of Samsung.Untitled 1.jpg

0 Kudos