Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

63 Posts

February 6th, 2023 13:00

Can i run G5 5500 in performance mode without the fan going mad?

Dell G5 15 5500

Dell G5 15 5500

Hi, I have a Dell G5 5500 Laptop, I know this sounds stupid, but I don't actually use it that much for gaming and more for work.

Which was probably a really bad choice at the time because I know that's why the fan is like it is.

I can only really run it in balanced mode, as the fan is fairly tame and only goes mad occasionally. If I put it in performance mode, the fan goes mad and stays like that as soon as I open literally any app, so even when just surfing the net it goes mad.

Unfortunately, when sitting in the living room with other people, this is just a no-go because it sounds like a helicopter is trying to land.

As much as I understand all this and why it's like this, I would have thought the laptop could differentiate between it playing a high intense game and me just opening Microsoft Word lol

Is there any way to manage this, so I am getting the performance from the laptop i have paid for, as i don't feel I am getting my money's worth not being able to run it in performance mode?

Regards

James

278 Posts

February 6th, 2023 23:00

Here are a few options you can try:

1. Update the BIOS: Check if there is a new BIOS update available for your laptop and install it. This might improve the fan control and reduce noise.

2. Control fan speed using software: There are several software programs available that allow you to control fan speed, such as SpeedFan or Notebook Fan Control.

3. Use external cooling pad: An external cooling pad can help dissipate heat from your laptop, reducing the need for the fan to run at full speed.

4. Reapply thermal paste: If the thermal paste between the CPU/GPU and the heat sink has degraded, it can cause the fan to run faster and produce more noise. Applying fresh thermal paste can help solve this issue.

5. Take it to a professional: If you are not comfortable with doing the above, take your laptop to a professional for repair.

No Events found!