Highlighted
1 Copper

Can not recognize SSD for windows setup on Inspiron 17 7779

Hi,

I have a Toshiba NVMe SSD. I removed the old SATA hard drive. Now, I am trying to setup windows through a USB flash drive that I downloaded from dell website. I can not see the hard drive to set up the windows. I went through these steps https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln301036/windows-10-install-with-nvme-ssd-and-sata-drive... and it did not help. I do not see an option for SSD in BIOS. What are your thoughts.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
6 Indium

Re: Can not recognize SSD for windows setup on Inspiron 17 7779

@mkarabiyik  If you're installing Windows 10, you should not enable Legacy Option ROMs.  I would recommend turning that back off and re-enabling Secure Boot.

In terms of your issue, the first step is to confirm that your BIOS sees it at a hardware/firmware level, because if not, then Windows Setup definitely won't.  So go into your BIOS Setup and confirm that your SSD is listed in the System Information/Summary section.  If it is, then the issue is likely that you have your system set to RAID mode rather than AHCI.  In that mode you sometimes need to supply an Intel RST driver to Window Setup in order to see your storage, depending on the generation of Intel RST controller you have and whether the version of Windows you're installing has a built-in driver for that generation.  But the simpler solution is to simply switch your system to AHCI mode, which disables the RST controller, at which point Windows will be able to see the storage using its built-in generic AHCI driver.  You don't need RAID mode unless you're actually trying to set up a RAID virtual disk with multiple drivers or you're using Intel Optane.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

@mkarabiyik  One additional note: Consider downloading Windows 10 directly from Microsoft here rather than using a Dell image restore.  That Microsoft page will download a Media Creation Tool that will help you create a bootable flash drive, and you'll be using the latest release of Windows 10 (which might not be the case with Dell's factory image restore) and you won't have any additional stuff that Dell preinstalls.  To get drivers afterward, just install and run Dell Update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I do not see the SSD in bios and I could not solve this issue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

@mkarabiyik  Well if you can't see it in the BIOS Setup, then you definitely won't see it in Windows Setup.  And when I just Googled "Inspiron 7779 NVMe", I found a bunch of threads on this forum indicating that the Inspiron 7779 doesn't support NVMe SSDs.  It seems to only support M.2 SATA SSDs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

that is what i am suspecting but there is a slot for it that says SSD on motherboard. if not supported why it is there? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

@mkarabiyik  It's an M.2 slot, and it does support SSDs, but not NVMe SSDs.  M.2 SSDs are available in M.2 SATA and M.2 NVMe form.  Some systems have M.2 slots that support both types.  Other systems have M.2 slots that only support SATA, and some now only support NVMe.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I tried an m2 and now i see it on bios but now i can not install the windows. I tried what you have recommended on other threads but i was not lucky. Any recommendations now? thanks

0 Kudos