Start a Conversation

Unsolved

U

6 Posts

June 16th, 2021 13:00

Vostro 14 3468, can't update BIOS

I have a dell Vostro 14-3468.

The current installed version of BIOS is 2.3.0

But newer BIOS versions have been released and I can't install them.

I have tried manual Install, Using Support Assist and even FreeDOS, but i failed every time. The BIOS install screen simply just doesn't occur.

Is there anything I can do to update my BIOS..

Community Manager

• 

2.1K Posts

June 16th, 2021 13:00

Are you trying to install the latest version 3.7.0?

Try to install a previous one to check if the issue will remain: 3.6.0

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

June 16th, 2021 14:00

You are trying to jump 7 versions to get to the newest. Try updating them in order starting with the version that comes after 2.3.0, which is 3.0.0. If you get an error, post that error or screen here on the forum. This page should help. Also this page as well. One question though, do you have BitLocker enabled? 

6 Posts

June 17th, 2021 06:00

I even tried 3.4.0 but none worked.

6 Posts

June 17th, 2021 06:00

Ok... So i tried to install the 3.0.0 version both in windows and using FreeDOS, I failed both times.

There isn't any sort of error or anything, when laptop restarts to install the bios update it boots as if there isn't anything to install(BIOS Update) and simply loads the windows.

Another problem with my laptop which I think maybe interfering with the BIOS update is :

"2 years ago something happened to my laptop, when ever I press the power button to start it, the screen stays black for 36 seconds, even though the hard disks and fans start spinning immediately after the button is pressed and the boot starts after about 36 seconds have passed (Laptop works perfectly fine except for this problem). The BIOS also stopped updating right around that time. I think these two are related."

Anything I can do to fix these problems? Is the reason of delayed boot a hardware problem or what? 

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Community Manager

• 

2.1K Posts

June 17th, 2021 09:00

You can also try this:

• Enter the BIOS menu (by pressing F2 during the boot-up process);
  • Once in the BIOS reset your custom BIOS options;
  • Then verify if the date and time are correct and change any other needed BIOS menu options for your normal configuration;
  • Restart the system.

Try to update the BIOS now.

If it doesn't work, try the BIOS recovery

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

Yes, it can be replaced by a repair shop that can do soldering (i.e., not Best Buy, etc.).  That said, the boards for this system appear to run in the $150-200 range -- which is probably less than the cost to have the chip replaced.

6 Posts

So I tried the first method but still couldn't install.

As for the second solution, the BIOS recovery screen just won't open. The laptop starts but the screen remains off and then laptop turns off.

I suspect its a faulty BIOS chip, what do you say about it? Can it be replaced?

6 Posts

June 17th, 2021 10:00

So the problem is a faulty BIOS chip then?

I will most probably visit dell service centre and consult them

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

June 17th, 2021 10:00

If the system isn't running, possibly.  If it does boot and run as is, it's still possible, though less likely and probably should be left as is rather than forcing a flash that may take the system down permenently.

6 Posts

June 17th, 2021 11:00

Everything works perfectly fine except that the boot starts 36 seconds after the power button is pressed (even when restarting).

February 11th, 2023 08:00

I’m facing the same problem right now.

after upgrading to SSD and installed window 10 pro on SSD, the problem encountered.

My Dell vostro 15 - 3568 also has the same problem right now. Window start to boot 30-40 sec after pressing power button. After boot started, the laptop perfectly works. But the laptop cant be put into sleep. Everytime i choose to sleep , the laptop went shut down.

For above 2 problems; delay boot time and sleep option , i tried to update BIOS. The BIOS update didnt start.

Have you fixed the problem yet? Please let me know how u did.

Thanks in advance 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 11th, 2023 11:00

I'm assuming windows 10 is on the computer.....

First, I'd suggest installing latest firmware for the new Solid-State Drive either in device manager or from the SSD website. Type device manager onto search box, right click on new SSD, select Update, restart computer, hopefully computer have a better boot time.

Secondly. installed latest Dell Chipset drivers, firmware and other necessary drivers in the correct order:

How to Install Dell Drivers in the Correct Order | Dell US

Lastly,

Install latest device drivers from Microsoft:

Get the latest Windows update - Microsoft Support

1 Message

January 17th, 2024 07:35

Hi, has anyone revived/resolved the Dell 3568 30 second boot delay issue, nothings working for me? and still stuck with bios 2.3.0?

(edited)

No Events found!