Can't install windows 10

i Can't install windows 10 from bios since it shows a blank screen

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

August 12th, 2022 07:00

You need to provide much more information. For example:

• what model laptop?
  • did you create a Windows installer on flash drive, using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool?
  • how did you attempt to boot from the flash drive?
  • have you ever successfully booted from any other flash drives or DVDs?
  • etc.

Note, those questions are not a complete list, just examples. For anyone to be able to understand your issue and assist you, you must inform us.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

August 12th, 2022 08:00

@filbert wrote:

You need to provide much more information. For example:

• what model laptop?
  • did you create a Windows installer on flash drive, using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool?
  • how did you attempt to boot from the flash drive?
  • have you ever successfully booted from any other flash drives or DVDs?
  • etc.

Note, those questions are not a complete list, just examples. For anyone to be able to understand your issue and assist you, you must inform us.

He has a 12+ posts in the past 2 days complaining about everything.

August 12th, 2022 09:00

I'm trying to make a race car out of this laptop.

HI

I have the inspiron 1501

I created windows installation media using Microsoft's media creation tool

I attempted to load setup.exe and there was error (the file is missing)

This laptop was originally running windows vista

then i  upgraded to the wonderful windows 7.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

@ieee488 wrote:

He has a 12+ posts in the past 2 days complaining about everything.

Ah. It's always difficult to help people who don't provide sufficient details. It's more difficult when they start multiple threads with possibly-related issues, all with insufficient information.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

August 12th, 2022 10:00

That laptop has only 2 GB RAM, a slow processor and budget components that are at least 16 years old. I'd prefer to invest the time and money working on a system that will yield a better final result. I think Linux OSs like the ones I mentioned would be a better choice for that hardware than Windows 10.

But, I wish you luck. I wish more people would find ways to improve and reuse old hardware rather than sending it to landfill and buying new hardware. I've received old systems from friends who discarded them because they said they were too slow, but after I fixed them up they ran very well. One friend was shocked and said that if he had known that his old system could run so well that he wouldn't have bought a new one.

I know the outcome won't load windows 10 in 0.1 seconds but I'm hoping for at least 30 seconds to boot,

In fact this laptop can boot windows 7 in around 30 seconds, the thing holding back is the ssd.

I believe anything is possible in this world.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

@ihateacer123 wrote:

I'm trying to make a race car out of this laptop.

Inspiron 1501? From 2006? It will never be a race car. That is a 16-year-old laptop, and even back in 2006 it was not fast, as it was a budget model.

I'm a big believer in repurposing and repairing old computers. I recently did cleaning, repasting and clean installation on a friend's 10-year-old Inspiron and am about to do the same on my 11-year-old XPS laptop. But, the XPS was a fast machine in its day, so it runs Windows 10 very well and it's worth maintaining it to keep it going.

But, your 16-year-old laptop is never going to run Windows 10 at a satisfactory level. I think you would be frustrated by its performance. I suggest installing a Linux OS made for weaker systems, such as Xubuntu or Lubuntu or Puppy. That can make an older, slower PC useful, but it's still never going to be "a race car".

August 12th, 2022 11:00

This laptop can be decently upgraded with up to 8gb ram and a CPU with around 2.0ghz.

Who Knows what the possibilits are.

Also i will mostly use this laptop for web browsing,email and Geforce Now since everyone loves a bit of fortnite.

No Events found!