Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2019 14:00

Charging via USB-C port

Hello, can the Inspiron 15-7580 be charged via the USB-C port? I cannot see anything confirming this in the documentation. However, it seems that Dell sells a charger for this: https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/dell-usb-c-power-adapter-plus-45w/apd/492-bbwz (Inspiron 15-7000 series mentioned at the bottom of page on the compatibility list) And in France, I see the (same?) charger is on sale : http://online-go.fr/dell-adaptateur-c-10/dell-inspiron-15-7000-7569-chargeur-original-45w-usbc-p-4067.html Can anyone confirm this one way or the other? Thanks.

3 Posts

February 14th, 2019 02:00

Well I finally managed to get to a shop in London where they were happy to try it out. So we tried it with a 60w charger they had in stock. In the BIOS we got the message that we had attached a power supply inferior to the required 65w. When we booted into Windows there was a message that the computer was charging, however that the supply was not as powerful as it should be and tha some power might still be taken from the battery. So the answer seems to be for my Inspiron 15-7580 system is that USB-C charging does work, despite there being no mention of it in the Dell specs. Very happy

Still not resolved? Use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647372274061.png

Video on Ports: 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 13th, 2019 16:00

Looking at the Specifications document for that system on support.dell.com, specifically the sections that mention the USB-C port, there’s no mention of support for charging. Typically the documentation and products pages of systems that support this say something like “supports system charging / DC-in” in the notes about the system’s USB-C port(s). So my guess is that the system doesn’t support this. I wouldn’t put a ton of faith in the compatibility list on the charger product page. Those lists often omit compatible systems or list incompatible systems. Also, the Specifications document mentions both 45W and 65W chargers for that system, probably depending on the options your system is configured with. I would check the wattage on the charger you received with your specific system. If it’s 65W, you’d need a 65W USB-C charger anyway. I actually have a Nekteck 65W USB-C charger I’m very happy with if you decide to test this yourself. I also bought a 10ft USB-C cable since the included 6ft cable was shorter than the total cord length of my system’s charger. If you want to do that too, make sure you get a USB-C cable rated for up to 5A / 100W, because otherwise it will only carry up to 60W.

3 Posts

January 14th, 2019 07:00

Thank you for all that. Well I shall look for a shop where I can test it out before buying -- not sure how easy that will be.

16 Posts

April 29th, 2019 10:00

I have recently purchased a Inspiron 13 7000 2in1 (7386) and have been attempting to get a 'straight answer' to if this can be charged through USB-C?

My thoughts after a lot of exchanges with Dell support is that nobody knows the answer. It just seems strange to me that some models even older ones can (7368 is quoted for Dell part 492-BBWZ 45w & 7389 for Dell part 492-BCBI 65w) but there does not seem to be any confirming answer when it comes to the 7386.

4 Posts

July 3rd, 2019 22:00

have you found any answer for 7386?

6 Posts

July 3rd, 2019 23:00

I use my 7386 docked with WD15 and charging through that.

16 Posts

August 8th, 2019 05:00

Please explain WD15 - what is this?

16 Posts

August 8th, 2019 07:00

Okay - I see this is a docking station to which a normal charger can be connected, so I don’t see this as an answer to USB C charging.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 8th, 2019 08:00

@Martin4x4  you connect a normal charger to the WD15 and then connect the WD15 to the system via USB-C, and then that USB-C connection carries power, video, USB (including audio, Ethernet, etc.), so that’s definitely USB-C charging from the system’s perspective. If the system can charge from a connection to a WD15, then it can charge over USB-C, because that’s The only way the system is connected to the WD15, and therefore the system would also be able to charge from a basic USB-C wall charger as long as it provided adequate wattage.

16 Posts

August 9th, 2019 01:00

Few errors in what I wrote

The charger I have has output of +5.1vDC, and is rated as max power 5.3w.

16 Posts

August 9th, 2019 01:00

Thanks, I find this really interesting. I’ve had a number of emails between myself and Dell technical support - ALL of which have made it very clear that my Latitude 7386 CANNOT be charged via USB C! Yet hear you are telling me that is exactly what you have! I see that there are different versions of the WD15, can you please confirm which one you have - I assume the USB C version, but it would be good to know the exact model number. I don’t need a docking station and it is a wall charger that I am interested in. I have a 45amp usb charger (Raspberry Pi) and that does nothing when I have tried it on the 7386. So I’m wondering if it needs a higher ampage charger to work.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 9th, 2019 09:00

All versions of the WD15 use USB-C. The only difference is that it can be ordered with either a 130W or 180W power adapter. The latter is only necessary if you’ll be using the WD15 with a system that requires 130W just for itself, such as the XPS 15. Your 13” Inspiron probably uses a 45W AC adapter, so you would be fine with the WD15 130W version, which can provide up to 90W to the system.

I can’t speak to whether that system will charge over USB-C since I haven’t used it personally, but Dell support reps have been known to be wrong before, especially in cases like this where Dell’s own documentation isn’t always clear. In many cases the specs will mention that the USB-C port supports “Power Delivery”, but since USB PD can be used directly, that doesn’t always mean the system supports charging itself that way.

You definitely don’t have a 45 AMP charger. You might have a 45 WATT charger, but based on your follow-up post, it sounds like you have one that’s only meant for charging devices like smartphones. I would recommend looking at the wattage of the AC adapter that came with the system and finding a USB-C charger that provides at least that much wattage. For maximum compatibility, make sure it supports at least 5V, 9V, 15V, and 20V output. Most 45-60W chargers do, although Apple’s 87W charger is a glaring exception because it doesn’t support 15V. There’s also 12V, but that’s relatively rare on chargers because it’s relatively rare on devices, and pretty much any device that supports 12V will also support 9V and/or 15V anyway.

16 Posts

August 14th, 2019 12:00

Thank you.

Following your email I went ahead and purchased this from Amazon in the UK

Dell USB C Type Ac Adapter XPS 13 9365 Laptop charger Compatible Part Number: TDK33, 59TVW USB-C 20V 4.5A 90W.

It arrived today and I plugged in to the mains and connected to the USB C port on my Inspiron 7386 - the LED light on the on the USB C plug lit up and checking the PC it shows that battery charging.

So much for DELL support telling me in very strong wording that it would not charge through the USB C port!

4 Posts

September 12th, 2019 23:00

Thanks, mate, very good information, how much is this dell charger?

4 Posts

September 12th, 2019 23:00

so this usb c carry Ethernet cable (1Gbs) function and hdmi function as well?

No Events found!