Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 26th, 2018 03:00

Clone only OS partition to SSD/Install windows 10 on new SSD

Hello Community, I have dell inspiron 15 7559 and have bought the WD Blue 240 GB M.2 SSD. I have 5 partition of 1 TB default HDD out of which I want only OS partition (C: Drive) to be cloned to new SSD so can anybody tell me how can I do this

September 26th, 2018 09:00

@ejn63 wrote:

The Dell default is generally RAID -- if you'd rather AHCI (which is generally better for SSDs), change it before installing (the original drive will no longer boot, but that won't matter).

Where is this option located in BIOS because i tried looking for it in BIOS but didn't find 

Hi ejn63, I have some queries 1. If I cloned the HDD as it is to my 240gb SSD then the SSD will also have all these partitions 2. Also the SSD is too small compared to HDD so I think the operation wont succeed

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

If you do that, the system will not boot.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

September 26th, 2018 05:00

You need the boot sector, the EFI partition, and the OS partition.  The odds are if you don't clone the entire disc, you'll need bootable media to go in manually and make the clone bootable.

You can also make your recovery media, and delete the recovery image -- and then clone everything else.  

September 26th, 2018 06:00

Can i clean install windows 10 on SSD and boot from it or do i have to take out my HDD to do so

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

September 26th, 2018 07:00

In order to result in a bootable system, you need to remove the existing drive from the system -- once Windows is up and running, you can reconnect the hard drive.

You absolutely MUST remove the original drive from the system before booting Windows on the new SSD -- or the system will boot from the original drive every time thereafter.

September 26th, 2018 07:00

@ejn63 wrote:

In order to result in a bootable system, you need to remove the existing drive from the system -- once Windows is up and running, you can reconnect the hard drive.

You absolutely MUST remove the original drive from the system before booting Windows on the new SSD -- or the system will boot from the original drive every time thereafter.

Yes i will remove the HDD before installing windows 10 on SSD

also do i have to change any BIOS settings for the installation 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

September 26th, 2018 09:00

The Dell default is generally RAID -- if you'd rather AHCI (which is generally better for SSDs), change it before installing (the original drive will no longer boot, but that won't matter).

September 30th, 2018 00:00

I think it should be feasible.because i done it before, and now running smoonthly.first of all, connect the M.2 SSD to your Dell computer, then clone the OS partition from HDD to that SSD drive, then change the HDD with the M.2 SSD, then set the BIOS to boot from the SSD drive. now it's done. more details refer to: https://www.backup-utility.com/windows-10/migrate-windows-10-to-m-2-ssd.html

September 30th, 2018 01:00

@tomorrow ailsa wrote:
I think it should be feasible.because i done it before, and now running smoonthly.first of all, connect the M.2 SSD to your Dell computer, then clone the OS partition from HDD to that SSD drive, then change the HDD with the M.2 SSD, then set the BIOS to boot from the SSD drive. now it's done. more details refer to: https://www.backup-utility.com/windows-10/migrate-windows-10-to-m-2-ssd.html

Well Thanks for the reply 

But I directly installed windows 10 in SSD by disconnecting HDD from laptop and reconnected it after finishing the installation 

22 Posts

April 22nd, 2020 19:00

To clone only OS drive to SSD, the most convenient and effective way is to make use of an OS cloning software, which can migrate OS partition and related boot volumes to SSD or HDD, so that you can boot from the destination drive after clone.

No Events found!