Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

7 Posts

February 17th, 2022 10:00

Computer ran very slow, try to reboot to factory.

Hello, I am installing Windows 10 but it keeps resorting back to the Windows setup screen after it indicates it is or has installed features etc. and then restarts. The original Windows is still installed I think, not sure. Not real experienced in this, just would like a clean install, no important personal files to save.  This is a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series. The computer was very slow and I tried everything before I decided to try rebooting to factory install. But then it kept looping to "Why did my pc restart? "There is a problem that's keeping us from getting your PC ready to use....try updating" which I tried but kept coming back to "Why did my PC...." So I tried to install a newer version of windows from a media tool on flash drive, followed instructions, and that's when it resorts to back to Windows set up screen. Just wondering if my hard drive or something else is wrong. Thanks, Dave.

5.6K Posts

February 17th, 2022 11:00

Which model?

When you do a clean install, it will ask you if you want to keep files and programs. If you answer 'no', then it is a clean installation.

7 Posts

February 17th, 2022 12:00

Model Inspiron 15-3567

I selected No. Thanks. I try to install windows but it keeps looping back to Windows set up Screen. Thanks for your help.

7 Posts

I created from a media tool from microsoft, downloaded to Usb and then booted from flash drive.

5.6K Posts

How did you prepare the USB that you are using to install Windows 10?

5.6K Posts

February 17th, 2022 13:00

If you have a mechanical hard drive, you need to upgrade to a SSD before you install Windows 10.

7 Posts

Even if it came with Windows 10? Thanks.

5.6K Posts

You are complaining about a slow laptop so a SSD is a must.

7 Posts

February 17th, 2022 14:00

Okay thanks. 

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

February 18th, 2022 00:00

Open Device Manager (accessible by right clicking your Start Button)

Are any of the devices there showing exclamation marks beside them?

If so, you should go to the support page for your PC on the manufacturers website, then from there, download and install a full set of device drivers . . .

If there are no devices with exclamation marks or if installing drivers does not resolve this, then honestly, your best option would be to clean install Windows 10 to get back to a responsive and reliable system . . .

You can reinstall Windows 10 at any time and it will not cost you anything !

Since you previously had Windows 10 installed and activated on that PC during the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers

Make sure you install the same Edition of Windows 10 (Home, Pro . . . etc.) you previously had installed to avoid Activation issues

7 Posts

February 24th, 2022 11:00

Hello, I have rebooted from factory. It is still very slow more prominent on the internet. Would installing a new hard drive (SSD) help this and do I need to install new software for my Dell laptop or just remove the old and install the new hard drive. Has windows 10 home edition. 6 Gig. Ram  Dont care about saving any personal files. Thanks for your help! Dave

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 24th, 2022 16:00

twin4dave

Replacing slow hard drive with a new solid-state drive will definitely help speed your boot time. You also should consider installing 8GB of memory into the computer. Anything less than 8GB is consider slow in these days. Most of us, here on this forum, purchase new memory or SSD from Crucial com.

Crucial US | DRAM, Solid State Drive (SSD) & Memory Upgrades

Crucial com also offers good videos on how to install SSD or memory

How to install a Crucial SSD in a computer - Intro | Crucial.com

Lastly, please view computer's service / owner manual in your Dell Product Support page: 

Manuals and Documentation for your Dell Product | Dell US

7 Posts

February 24th, 2022 19:00

Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

No Events found!