Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2022 07:00

Connect an old laptop (Inspiron 4010 14R) to a 4K monitor?

Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding an old dinosaur and the requirements of modern-day technology. I have a old Inspiron 4010 14R that I have been chugging along since its first breath of life back in 2010. Recently a older HD monitor that I have been using for about as long as my laptop as an external monitor broke and I need to purchase a new model. My question pertains to whether an old laptop like my own could properly display its contents on a 4K resolution monitor?

I believe I may already have my answer from a similar question for another computer on a different forum but I would like to confirm my suspicions for my particular model. I have no idea about the generation of the HDMI port but I assume because of its age its one of the first types to be put in laptops and of course there is only a first generation Intel HD graphics card within the computer. The native resolution of the factory monitor is 1366x768. Even though I was able to extend the picture and quality up to 1920x1080 on my old monitor I believe that I may not have that type of luck on a 4K monitor.

Still if I can go with 4K for the future I would like to take that step or I can go the FHD route if that doesn't work.

Thank you everyone for all your input.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

January 14th, 2022 07:00

The answer is no -- that notebook cannot output 4K video.  Even if it were technically possible, the weak GPU would be completely overwhelmed with the task of rendering high resolution video.

January 14th, 2022 12:00

Thank you for the quick response,

Yeah I figured without being tech literate that my laptop was just too geriatric and the system specs were just too old to be able to handle any of the new stuff being pumped out today but I wanted to get a confirmation from people who actually knew what they were talking about.

Hopefully if anyone has the same type of question regarding old machines connecting to 4K monitors and they end up here they can search and find this thread for their answer so that they don't have to ask themselves.

FHD resolution it is, thanks again.

No Events found!