AlPrimos
1 Nickel

Corrupt SSD, need file on there

Jump to solution
Hi, so basically I had an average day today, my water bottle leaked in my backback and caused my Inspiron 5575 to play up, a damaged screen and im thinking a corrupt SSD now. It's got a 2TB HDD and a 256GB SSD with windows installed. Currently I'm in a boot loop, where whatever I do the laptop restarts into windows recovery environment, any attempts for automatic repair cause errors, and I can't get anywhere at the moment. System restores / windows reset all return errors and do nothing. At one stage the laptop would boot into "No boot device found", but now it goes into recovery environment all the time I would do a factory reset however I really need a word document on the SSD, so was wondering if there might be any way to access the files from the startup menu? Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Re: Corrupt SSD, need file on there

Jump to solution

Use another PC to download and install Macrium Reflect Free and create its bootable Rescue Media, then boot your system from that. In the taskbar you’ll see an icon for PE Explorer, which is a rudimentary file explorer application that you can use to copy files from your drive to a flash drive, assuming the drive still works well enough for that. Or you can use Reflect for its main purpose, which is to capture an image of the entire disk. Obviously if it’s not bootable you wouldn’t use that for normal restore purposes, but you’d be able to mount that image from another PC to access all files on it, in case you’re worried you might be forgetting to copy something now.

(Note: In general you want to create Rescue Media from the PC you plan to use it with to make sure all necessary drivers are included. That of course isn’t feasible here, so if you can’t see your laptop’s drive in the Rescue environment, that might be why, but there’s still a good chance this works if you use another recent PC to create it.)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

Use another PC to download and install Macrium Reflect Free and create its bootable Rescue Media, then boot your system from that. In the taskbar you’ll see an icon for PE Explorer, which is a rudimentary file explorer application that you can use to copy files from your drive to a flash drive, assuming the drive still works well enough for that. Or you can use Reflect for its main purpose, which is to capture an image of the entire disk. Obviously if it’s not bootable you wouldn’t use that for normal restore purposes, but you’d be able to mount that image from another PC to access all files on it, in case you’re worried you might be forgetting to copy something now.

(Note: In general you want to create Rescue Media from the PC you plan to use it with to make sure all necessary drivers are included. That of course isn’t feasible here, so if you can’t see your laptop’s drive in the Rescue environment, that might be why, but there’s still a good chance this works if you use another recent PC to create it.)

0 Kudos
AlPrimos
1 Nickel

Jump to solution
Thank you so much! Managed to get the file and a ton of other stuff! Now to get my laptop repaired...
0 Kudos