Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 18th, 2018 18:00

Inspiron 13 7373, runs hot, loud fan

when i use the laptop for 10 minutes it will run hot especially on the top over the keyboard. and loud fan . the temperature at core is about 60 degree celcius. how can i solve these problem 

thank you for your kindly support

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

January 18th, 2018 23:00

Thank you for your message.

How long have you been having this issue? Have there been any recent updates (Dell/ Windows)?

Run a hardware diagnostic by following this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB

Please check the version of BIOS installed.

Please click on the message tab – click new message & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

February 14th, 2018 18:00

I recently purchased a 7373 as well and noticed my cooling fan running full speed pretty much all the time and the area above my keyboard becoming very hot to the touch. According to Speccy my core temp was spiking in the 80C range during this. I updated the BIOS to the latest one (1.6.2, released 1/25/2018) and rebooted. No change.

I called Dell and they wanted to replace the motherboard and heat sink. I wasn't 100% convinced it was a hardware issue, so I went to searching.

I ended up finding this YouTube video, which directed me to the Power Options -> Advanced Power Settings -> Processor Power Management. I ramped down the "Maximum Processor State" numbers from 99% to 75% on both battery and plugged in and set the cooling policy to "Active" for both values as well. 

Once I did that the fan stopped, and hasn't ramped up again since. Core CPU temp never gets above 55-60C now. Based on my own anecdotal experience, I think this is a glitch in Windows 10 (I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1709, build 16299.248). 

Anyway, hope this helps!

(edit - forgot temperature info)

1 Message

May 22nd, 2018 17:00

so there is a much simple option if you want to just use your laptop to view youtube, web browsing or document writing.

when the laptop restarts press F12 this will take you to the BIOS menu,

Select BIOS Setup

In the performance, tab look for "Intel step up" untick that box then click save at the bottom.

so unticking the Intel step up will limit the clock speed to 1.9ghz on all cores so the max temp laptop hits around 50-56 that also gives you a longer battery life. this stop the fan going to 100% and the laptop runs cool.

when you want the performance just enable the Intel Step up. 

hope this helps.. I really wish dell has a custom button on the laptop that would help switch between the step up and down. this would help with the temperature and battery life.

once all the cores are stressed the performance is reduced to 2.5ghz from 4ghz which is disappointing. I wish there was a better cooling as at 4.hz 2000points to 2.4ghz 1500points and 1.9ghz 1000points that such a difference in performance. 

you can get even longer battery life by disabling cores in the bios your performance will take a hit but you should get even longer battery life.

1 Message

August 24th, 2019 20:00

mine gets burning hot also. same problem here with dell inspiron 13 7000. i was told it would not overheat by bestbuy store. they market it to not overheat. if i plug it in to charge and use it at the same time it will overheat in less than one minute. it's burning hot on the bottom. the fans go on at horrible high speed and do nothing to cool it down. only thing i can do is turn it off. this has been a terrible purchase. something is very defective with this model. my first dell i had no problems with. this is my second dell and its a problem every time i turn it on overheating!

1 Message

November 27th, 2019 14:00

Please let me know if you find a solution. Mine gets burning hot very quickly and battery does not last long. I ran the test and it indicated no issue. 

1 Message

November 30th, 2019 19:00

Just bought my Dell i7391 today and it is practically burning my lap!  I am going back to Best Buy tomorrow to return it and getting the HP I was also looking at. This is absolutely ridiculous.

1 Message

May 18th, 2020 12:00

My Inspiron 13 7391 is two weeks old. 

It is getting hot for no apparent reason.

CPU utilization is below 10% and yet the laptop is hot that I could almost fry eggs on it

July 3rd, 2020 07:00

I have an Inspiron 14R 5437 from 2014 that runs IDLE at 70C since new (cooling system replaced by dell under waranty).
i burned my finger once bc it has a metal chassis! its completely absurd, the air that comes from the cooler is hot enough to use as a hand heater in winter. completely absurd! i have my fan set to 100% all the time to be able to not throttle at idle. the underengineering of the cooling system is completely absurd and dell has it for over 6 years with no corrections whatsoever. If you gonna do this dont even bother using discrete graphics, the thermal solution cannot handle it. its actually the same as the one for integrated graphics notebooks all it has is another thermal source on the gpu

1 Message

December 9th, 2021 01:00

Thank you so much!! That solved my problem with the fan which has been driving me crazy. Thank you!

No Events found!