Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2019 14:00

DELL INSPIRON 1525 CPU UPGRADE OPTIONS

I'd like to upgrade the processor on my admittedly old Inspiron 1525. I am not looking for world beating performance, but with the upgrades I've made so far a processor is the last step. Most of the Core 2 Duo's are so cheap now a nice lunch out costs more than the upgrade. As an example a T7800 is less than $18 on eBay. 

Here are the current specs via Windows 10

Intel Pentium Dual Core T2330 1.60GHz

4 GB memory

120 GB Kingston SSD

Motherboard 0PP385

The BIOS says

Processor Type: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo processor

Processor ID: 06FD

Current Clock Speed: 1.60 GHz

Minumum Clock Speed: 800 MHz

Current Clock Speed: 1.60 GHz

Processor Cache Size: 1024 KB

Dual Core Present: Yes

Thanks for all the help! I am just trying to do this right!

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

March 17th, 2019 06:00

I suspect it will go smoothly. The following video will help and one of the comments is from a user that successfully upgraded to a T7800 with no issues, so you should be good to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy2WxZw6PeQ

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

March 16th, 2019 17:00

5 Posts

March 16th, 2019 22:00

Thanks for the link, I checked it out. I'd like it better if someone actually reported on it after they did the upgrade, but I'll report back when I am done. 

I decided to purchase a Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4 GHz 800MHz with 4 MB of L2 Cache running at 35 W.

It was a big expense at $4.75. Yep, less than $5. As long as it doesn't fry anything I spend more on lunch. I bought it off of AliExpress if anyone else is interested. There were some even cheaper T7700's on eBay, but believe it or not the shipping would have been slower. Who knew?

My next concern is will the BIOS recognize it or what exactly do I need to do to get it to work properly once I get it.

1 Message

November 13th, 2019 16:00

Well I just tried with T9300 and it works !! 

1 Message

April 12th, 2020 15:00

I fitted a "Genuine Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.0 GHz / 4M / 800 Mhz T7300 Mobile Processor SLA45"

cost £10GBP, worked perfectly

As with everything, you have to balance price against performance

There are chips which are cheaper, but they won't make as much difference

There are faster chips, but you'll reach a performance ceiling with the rest of the board, and to go beyond that is pretty pointless.

Let's face it, the 1525 is a pretty loyal workhorse, but the sad fact is it's always going to be a bit of a donkey.

The saving grace is that it has an HDMI port and for the moment spares are both plentiful and cheap

- I have two and use them for messing about with Linux distros - as well as the originally supplied Vista - I've seen them make a respectable attempt at doing XP and Windows/7, and *some* (but not all) Linux.

You've done the right things first though - max the memory and fit an SSD (again, the fastest probably won't help - about £25 for a 250Gb should do it)

I've not even attempted Windows/10, for all sorts of reasons but mostly because it 

7 Posts

September 25th, 2020 08:00

I thought I would tell you a bit about my experiences of upgrading my Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop. I Have been using this since 2007 and have been very happy with it. It originally run Windows Vista but now Windows 10 Pro version 2004.

A popular upgrade for any laptop is to fit a solid state hard disk. A lot of the slowness of any computer seems to be caused by disk access. This computer has a 160Gb hard disk which is getting pretty full, for this machine I decided on a Crucial BX500 240GB SSD.

So before fitting the SSD I decided to max out RAM. There are two "slots" in this Laptop and they were both occupied with 1Gb modules. The largest size you can fit to the Inspiron 1525 is 2Gb which gives a total of 4Gb. Again I went for Crucial DDR2 RAM.

I then installed the latest Windows 10 pro and Office 2019. The machine is still running well after 14 years.

7 Posts

September 25th, 2020 14:00

No spacer provided.

There are some things online with different degrees of difficulty.

Are you looking at upgrading your 1525?? What specs ?

1 Message

September 25th, 2020 14:00

@Guzzler  so I checked out the SSD you mentioned, given its a 2.5" did you require a spacer for it to be detected by the bios? and if so did yours come with one? im looking at a listing on amazon from the company and im not seeing any information on spacers if I did need one.

No Events found!