Unsolved

Closed

I

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

April 20th, 2018 06:00

Inspiron 5577, near hinge issue

hi i bought dell inspiron 5577 about 10 months ago. today when i was about to work on my laptop i noticed that the hinge is a little bit loosen that it usual. then i turned it over and noticed that the near part of the hinge popped out. i thought it might be a normal issue so i popped back in the two parts that it connects to. i heard a click and thought i am good to go. but as soon as i turned up the display, the area again popped out from its place again. i came to know that no matter how many time i pop it back, it'll pop out again. i contacted dell india for this issue. they thought it is damaged done by me. so they told it's not covered by warrenty and told me to visit service center to get it fixed. i dig into some forums and found that inspiron 7559 has this issue. found many similar posts regarding  inspiron 7559. as inspiron 5577 and inspiron 7559 has same chassis, it might be causing the same problem. now i am really confused what i should do and whether it can be fixed or not. and this happened to my left side. hope dell can give me a fix cause if it's not fixed soon, it can cause more damage to the hinge.

Edit: Fixed it. Screws were loose. Link : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1C64RKmAca0

It's The Left SideIt's The Left SideThe Right Side Which Is FineThe Right Side Which Is Fine

9.4K Posts

April 20th, 2018 09:00

Hi IAmRipunjoy,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system was not performing as expected.

We appreciate you posting back about you your solution resolved the issues.

Just to mention, the hinges are considered normal "wear and tear" parts and are not covered under warranty.  So if there is further issues regarding the hinges, they are not a warranty item.

Please send me a Private Message and provide your system service tag number
as well as your name, address, phone number and email address for further support
assistance if it is needed.

1 Message

November 30th, 2018 14:00

I had the same issue, except I didn't think to check online to see if there was a fix, and now, less than a year after I bought this laptop, it is pulling its self apart at the seams. I'm pretty sure that my pc suffered the exact same fault as the guy who started this post, except now mine won't even snap together all the way and I don't know how to fix this without breaking things even further. It was my fault for not looking sooner, but I think that it's on you guys to help fix a problem inherent to the casing used. Seriously, though, I bought this thing in January, and it's taken 9 ish months for things to start breaking, I want to fix this because otherwise I've had no problems, please help me.

9.4K Posts

December 3rd, 2018 04:00

Hi Hulitronics,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

As stated earlier in this thread, the hinges are considered normal wear and tear parts.  The hinge policy has been revised here .

So, if the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

2 Posts

February 5th, 2019 11:00

Having the same issue two times in a year. Dell covered under warranty on the fix because I bought extended and accidental damage warranty. Although I have in home service, they want me to send my laptop to repair centre to repair which takes around a week including shipping out/in time. It seems it's design flaw of this laptop. Two screws under the bottom cover near hinges keep loosing and it causes hinge mis align holding parts and leads to break case. I think Dell should recall the product and provide replacement of the laptop to different model with similar spec. 

1 Message

February 16th, 2019 22:00

Thanks for posting about this! I had the same issue two years into owning my laptop. Dell charged me $200 plus another $100 for an "extended warranty". It happened again and Dell told me my warranty expired so it would be another $200 to fix. I will not be buying another Dell =/ Love everything about Dell but this is just unacceptable!

22 Posts

February 17th, 2019 05:00

I had this problem on my Inspiron 15 7559 within a couple of months & it seems a very common problem. It looks like it's the same chassis, or at least very close. Dell should certainly be aware of it.

One suggestion I've seen to solve it is to put more threadlock on the screws to stop them coming loose, the guy who recommended it said that Dell didn't apply enough to start with. So it might be a problem in manufacturing, rather than a design flaw. They've moved to a different design now, which might have been to reduce the pressure on the hinges.

Dell told me it would void my warranty if I'd applied some (although I really would love to have tested that one in ), but if you're out of warranty then it's certainly worth doing.

I always buy three years onsite warranty with accidental coverage, I've always had to make enough claims to make it worthwhile.

February 25th, 2019 17:00

Yup I have same issue and I am really angry about it. I've delt with this since I got the laptop and now the screw is stripping and ripping my laptop apart. For now I have to leave the laptop open and leave in my room and plug it up to a monitor. 

This is unnacceptable, this laptop needs to be recalled. 

On top of this issue sometimes the laptop will freeze and not even the power button will shut it off. 

This is bad laptop from Dell and the fact they not fix this issue for free outside warrenty is corporate **bleep**. 

Never buy another Dell laptop like this, nope never. 

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 26th, 2019 05:00

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to assist you with this.

Please run a hardware diagnostic by following the video on this link & check if there is a hardware error. 

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

March 18th, 2019 04:00

I am also facing this issue, my laptop is 10 months old. This is definitely a manufacturing issue. How is hardware diagnostic will help me detect the hinge problem? 

9.4K Posts

March 18th, 2019 04:00

Hi DhairyaTripathi,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

As stated earlier in this thread, the hinges are considered normal wear and tear parts.  The hinge policy has been revised here .

So, if the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

1 Message

September 2nd, 2019 02:00

The hinges fail because the entire hinge mechanism, support and fixings are unfit for purpose. It starts with loose screws, but eventually the plastic posts holding the brass inserts for the hinges also disintegrate, so the hinge is then only held in place by the screw that comes through from the underside of the chassis and screws into the brass post on the underside of the palmrest assembly. This then starts to bend the thin metal ii is attached to. A combination of insufficient screw length, poor design and fragile plastic, coupled with the stiffness of the hinge mechanism results in failure of the left-hand side hinge on the Inspiron 5577 and other laptops using the same chassis. This is a direct result of poor design, not "wear and tear". Own the problem Dell and stop blaming the customer.

1 Message

September 5th, 2019 18:00

I have a year old Dell 7559 with a broken left hinge. Why is Dell not responding to this problem? I have used Dells for years and am very disappointed in this machine.

1 Message

September 11th, 2019 05:00

I am also suffering from same problem. And now I am confused that should i give it to  dell service center or to some local repair shop!!!

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

October 10th, 2019 22:00

If it's under warranty mail dell and show them proofs that this is design issue, they will accept and replace those hinge for free 

October 24th, 2019 19:00

Thanks for the youtube link.  I waited to fix this and it got worse and broke entirely.   Now I have to buy a new bottom cover/chassis.

No Events found!