Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2018 19:00

Inspiron 15 5570 WIFI VERY SLOW - Frustrating

I've been seeing this in quite a lot of threads on the internet, there is an issue with the wifi module (intel dual band wireless-AC 3165) that DELL is using in its new line of laptops.

I have Comcast's 250mbps internet connection at home. I have several other devices (phones, tablets, chromebook) that get at least 40-50mbps with wireless connection (checked using speedtest.net app) but the new DELL laptop 5570 that I bought in January 2018 from DELL's website is only getting 1-2mbps download and 3-4mbps upload speed. Can someone explain whats going on and help troubleshoot this problem. I've reset the modem, checked it's firmware and updated the DELL system with all new updates. Wifi module driver is also up to date. 

I'm using DLink DIR 850L router. I hope I provided enough info. Please help.

February 9th, 2018 10:00

I found the solution! I turned off SmartByte and my internet speed doubled! Don't know yet if it will stay stable, but I think it will. Hope it works for you as well! All the best!

44 Posts

October 9th, 2018 08:00

Unfortunately, I spent hours solving and fixing this independently on a new Inspiron desktop. - went from 5Mbps to 175Mbps. Why on earth is Dell installing this????

February 9th, 2018 05:00

I have the exact same problem, only on my Dell Inspiron 15 5570 is the WiFi super slow compared to all other devices here. Everything is up-to-date and test results were good.
I'm getting desperate.. Only thing I can think of is that the network card is either super bad or they put in the wrong one..

9 Posts

February 9th, 2018 17:00

wow. just wow. I uninstalled this Smart(dumb)Byte application from my laptop and I'm seeing great speeds!

Doesnt surprise me that one of the DELL crapware caused all the problems and headaches.

Its insane.

Shame on DELL, they will never own up to such things. always try to blame the firmware or anything else they can point fingers at.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 12th, 2018 09:00

Glad it's solved, but about the Intel 3165, although it's a dual antenna card, it only uses 1 antenna for transmit and 1 for receive (aka 1x1) rather than being able to use both antennas for each function when that would help.  If you have 250 Mbps Internet, you may want to consider upgrading to the Intel 8265, which supports 2x2 as well as 802.11ac Wave 2 features like MU-MIMO, so you may find that you'll get higher and/or more reliable throughput, possibly at longer range.  As of this writing, the Intel 8265 is available for $21 on Amazon.

I feel you.. Happy it worked at least!!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Follow up to my recommendation above.  I just looked up the specs of the DLink router you mentioned and it's only an AC1200 model.  That means the router can do two spatial streams, so upgrading to the 8265 in order to gain support for doing that in each direction might still yield some improvement there, but that router doesn't support Wave 2 features like MU-MIMO since that's fairly new and AC1200 is still fairly old.  Still, $20 on Amazon isn't a bad deal, and the swap itself would be fairly simple.

9 Posts

February 12th, 2018 10:00

dude! you are awesome. Thanks for this info. I will definitely consider upgrading to 8265, good to know.

any recommendations for upgrading the router I have to take full advantage of 250Mbps on 5GHz band?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 12th, 2018 10:00

I use an ASUS RT-AC88U, which is an 802.11ac Wave 2 router capable of MU-MIMO and even 4x4 transmission.  Practically no devices actually support 4x4 (in fact only a tiny group even support 3x3), but the additional capacity allows it to provide solid support to multiple clients simultaneously, even when they're in very different areas.  I have a 300 Mbps connection and I can get full bandwidth from a room that's 2 walls and about 50 feet away.  I suspect if I had a way to test LAN throughput I could get much higher, at leas that's what the reviews suggest.  I'm also just a fan of ASUS routers in general.  Their high-end models like this one tend to get great range (I can get a usable signal outside my house, for example), and then all of their products benefit from the way ASUS does things in general.  Their configuration interface is nicely laid out and has a solid feature set (AND they support third-party firmware if you want to go there), they provide frequent firmware updates and continue doing so for several years compared to other companies where you might get 2-3 in the first year and then it's tough luck, and most importantly for me, ASUS routers in my experience are rock solid.  With both this router and my previous RT-N66U, I never EVER had to reboot my router to resolve any WiFi or Internet connectivity issues.  The RT-AC87U (not the 88U) had some issues on its 5 GHz band when used with certain client chipsets, and that was a problem, but that's because that was the only product where ASUS tried a Qualcomm chipset.  For the 88U they returned to Broadcom and all is well.

All that said, if you have a larger house, you may want to consider a newer mesh system.  Netgear's Orbi seems to rule the roost in that category.

February 14th, 2018 13:00

I have a brand new Inspiron 7373.   I work in IT.  I went through **bleep** troubleshooting this.  Dell support, driver reinstalls, tweaking network card settings, tweaking router settings.

Symptom:  Wifi would remain connected, however internet would drop intermittently. WIN10 troubleshooter reported issues with "detecting proxy settings".  Intermittent drops occurred around high bandwidth (80/443) browsing.  Could restore Internet connection inconsistently with reset, or sometimes with wifi drop & connect, or ipconfig /renew.  Odd symptom was that I was unable to browse to the modem config page outside the subnet when Internet dropped, but fully able to browse to the router config page.  ICMP would often work to the internet, modem and router despite 80/443 browsing not working.  

Solution: Uninstall Smartbyte application and Smartbyte Drivers from your Win10 machine.

100% resolution of issues.

6 Posts

February 15th, 2018 04:00

Thank you so much! After more than a week messing around and posting on these boards (which no one from Dell replied to) I finally have a solution. Just uninstalled this yesterday and no issues in over 24 hours since. Never went more than an hour or so without dropout before that.Thanks!

1 Message

February 16th, 2018 19:00

Thanks so much.  Searched everywhere for solution, and had just about given up. Uninstalled Smartbytes. Can hardly believe the difference. You're a lifesaver!

1 Message

February 21st, 2018 22:00

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  I bought a Dell laptop on black friday 2017 at Best Buy and took it back after having wireless problems. Then found the deal on the 5570 Touch with 1080 screen at the Microsoft store in early December. Thought it would solve the wireless problems since it had the AC card. It didn't. 
I even purchased a used AC Centurylink 2100T modem on EBAY to upgrade my old C1000A to see if that would help. It didn't. I could connect at coffee shops and outside the house, but not reliably at home, and not at my in-laws (they also had a CLink 1000A modem). I was all set to purchase a new wireless card to replace the 3165 but then found that others had problems with the Dell even with 7xxx and 8xxx laptop cards. Really had run out of ideas, but found that if I played a video (if I could get it to start), then the connection would be pretty stable.
Just found this discussion and uninstalled the SmartByte app and drivers and re-booted between and after. Instant success!!! After 3 months of fighting this problem and chatting twice with Dell and getting told that I might need to purchase a $169/year (I think there was a one-time option charge too) software support to solve the problem or send my Dell back to get the hardware replaced (knew that wasn't the solution since I wasn't the only one having the problem) it looks like it is finally solved.

I'm thinking I might have to go back online with Dell and inform/complain to them about SmartByte and let them know of the REAL solution.
Here is a summary of the things I tried that didn't work:
  Calling Dell support after running the diagnostics at least twice and having them connect to my machine and try to solve the problem. The funny/ironic thing is that the connection dropped as they were trying to help and they gave up and told me to reimage my system.
  Getting sent to a 2nd level support and told that maybe I needed to purchase software support.
  Adjusting settings on the driver numerous times and in numerous ways
  Installing at least 3 different versions of the driver
  Re-initializing the whole laptop to the original image a week after I purchased it (after suggestions from Dell support - see above).

One thing I can say is that at least Dell was trying to help, it's just too bad that the solution [that they never suggested] is removing the junk software that causes problems that they installed in the first place. Maybe 'SmartBytes' works on some systems, but it definitely doesn't work on the 5570 (and the original 3xxx laptop that I purchased and took back).

Again, thanks SO MUCH for posting the solution that worked for me!!!

February 22nd, 2018 03:00

But is the Intel 8265 compatible with the Inspiron 15 5570? Mine unfortunately a 1x1 Qualcomm QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Adapter and I wasn't able to get any help about getting a 2x2 Wireless Adapter during the build.  Don't want to purchase a part and then have it rejected like has happened in the past of a different manufacturer.

Apologies for hi-jacking someone elses thread but this seemed slightly pertinent to one of my questions.

Thanks. 

March 5th, 2018 16:00

i contact rivet for this problem affecting all dell laptop customer ...

its take me week to find this and removing smartbyte i regain 100% speed on all dell latop i support at my compagny 

that was very very bad

No Events found!