Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 4th, 2020 09:00

DELL Inspiron 3793 unresponsive SONY USB key's

I got 2 Sony USB keys : https://www.amazon.com/Sony-32GB-Flash-Drive-USM32X/dp/B00KJGYV2I

Both of them become unresponsive in equidistant intervals  (for about 18 sec every 15 s) on DELL Inspiron 3793.
The consequence is poor upload/download performance and waiting times when deleting files or refreshing content. 

Download/upload  to Sony USB with Inspiron 3793Download/upload to Sony USB with Inspiron 3793

The computer has latest drivers and latest bios.
I have also try with factory OS and also with a fresh copy of windows 10. The problem remains.
What i did not try is rolling back bios to previous version.

The notebook is still under Warranty.
On other computers both USB keys are working with no delays - like expected.
Is this expected behavior on DELL Inspiron 3793?

Information about USB key.
SONY USB key info - unresponsive durring information getheringSONY USB key info - unresponsive durring information gethering

7 Posts

October 7th, 2020 00:00

It was not correct when I said that original OS did not make a difference. It is normal that the data flow falls sometime (if falls on original OS too), it is however not normal that data flow stops for 15 seconds.

On original OS copying to the key works like expected. After installing all updates from dell and windows it still works like expected.

I do not know where this unusual behaviour came from. Obviously, the previous windows installation was corrupted. I remember doing restore point once and I remember updating drivers with driver booster once. I also had problems with blue screens on the laptop when waking it up from sleep (a few times). All these three things might cause USB driver corruption.

However, now it seems ok.

delIvo_0-1602053685614.png

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 4th, 2020 10:00

Those usb drives might not be compatible with windows 10. The listing says-- Compatible OS: Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Mac OS X 10.4 or greater. 

Ask Sony support for help.

3 Apprentice

• 

547 Posts

October 4th, 2020 10:00

Have you tried using the flash drives with another system? How does another brand perform with the Inspiron?

It can either be a driver issue for the USB controller or that's how those Sony flash drives operate. I highly doubt that rolling back the BIOS to an earlier version will solve the issue.

5.6K Posts

October 4th, 2020 11:00

It is rare that a USB flash drive would be incompatible with Windows 10.

I remember early on with Window 98 that there was issues.

I would definitely try the Sonys with another PC.

7 Posts

I have one SanDisk key 32 GB which is working fine on Inspirion.

7 Posts

The same Sony keys are working just fine on other win10 notebook at home.

3 Apprentice

• 

547 Posts

Flash drives or any kind of USB mass storage device should be compatible with any version of Windows since 2000/Me, as long as they can recognize the file system that they are formatted with. Your Sony flash drives appear to be new old stock dating back to before Windows 10 was released (2015). They should work just fine with Windows 10.

Though that brings up another question... Have you tried re-formatting the Sony flash drives? I know not too long ago I had slow transfer issues with a MicroSDXC memory card formatted as NTFS. When I reformatted it as exFAT, transfer speeds greatly improved.

7 Posts

October 4th, 2020 12:00

I have tried right now. There is no improvement.
It is interesting that disk is Active all the time (according to task manager) although it is waiting for 18 seconds. It is Active – doing waiting.

2020-10-04 17_45_19-Task Manager.png

No Events found!