zachpeanut61
1 Nickel

DO NOT install G5 5587/G7 7588 bios 1.41(URGENT READ)

MAKE SURE TO READ MY COMMENT I MADE IN THIS THREAD THAT SHOWS HOW INCOMPETENT DELL IS!!!

Its pathetic how dell calls this a "gaming" laptop. With the new bios they make it so you cant downgrade, so if you upgrade to it you will cripple your laptop.

They lowered the gpu temp throttle from 78C down to 74C and they made the fans not spin on high until the temp is way hotter than it used to. In the bios upgrade notes it says ( reduced fan noise) they reduced the noise by making the fan barely spin until the laptop is burning hotSmiley LOL.

Its not just an issue im having, its posted on the dell subreddit.

It wont get bad reviews for overheating if dell thermal throttles the gpu and cpu to keep temps low, but it makes it a terrible gaming laptop for the users just to make dells image look better:SuperAngry:.

Literally every other gaming laptop out there allows user controllable fan settings but dell still has them locked after years of people asking on new and old inspirons.

Thanks Dell for ruining this laptop!

10 Replies
mal94
1 Nickel

Re: DO NOT install G5 5587/G7 7588 bios 1.41(URGENT READ)

I hope Dell make next BIOS update soon and remove problem with fans. In this moment my G5 is very hot idling with no fans working

0 Kudos
zachpeanut61
1 Nickel

This needs to get dells attention! Dells fan curve has the fans spinning at ~2200 rpm until 92c+  when they can go up to 5K

Dell please add user controllable fans. My fans barely spin when playing games and my laptop is fire hot after this joke of a bios update. EVERY other gaming laptop made allows user controllable fans besides you guys. 

Some people dont like loud fans and thats fine but making them quiet and barely spin until the cpu is in the 90c+ range is very bad for the hardware. If you allowed us to control the fans then it would cater to everyone that buys the laptop and not for the people who bought a GAMING LAPTOP for it to be quiet.

here is a pic of a controllable fan program, but the 2 games i play the most (fortnite and pubg) dont support windows test mode. I can either keep the PC cool so the hardware isn't damaged or play with the default fan curves dell set and let my laptop get fire hot and lower the life expectancy of it by a lot.Capture.PNG 

zachpeanut61
1 Nickel

These temps dont seem high but keep in mind i am just ideling in game and doing nothing cpu or gpu intensive.

here is a comparison playing starcraft 2 in the starting area with no action. the first pic i ran the fans on high for 2 mins.  then turned them to dells new trash fan curve for 2 mins.

For dells fan curve i was spiking between 74 and 68 on the cpu but i happened to screenshot it at 69c. Thats a 12c increase in gpu temp and an 8c-13c on the cpu just from idling in game for 2 MINS. come on dell smh

fan aftermarket.PNG 

non fan.PNG

0 Kudos
MaStA819
1 Copper

While they are at it they need to fix the inconsistent SSD recognition.  A 120 GB Sandisk SSD is recognized with no issue while a Crucial 512 GB SSD is not recognized at all.  Both drives work completely fine in my desktop machine. 

Dell support states that the G7 is not designed to be used with an SSD because the manual says it only supports HDD and SSHD which obviously makes no sense.  Any 2.5" SATA drive should work.  I read in a thread for another Dell laptop that this similar issue was fixed through a BIOS update.

0 Kudos
zachpeanut61
1 Nickel

I had a 1tb samsung 850 pro in my ps4 pro that i pulled out and put in this when i got it. About 1/2 of my start ups i have to sit at the dell logo for a few mins for it to boot. Im pretty sure ive never heard of a laptop ever having this problem. People throw ssds in 7 year old computers and they work with no problems but on a fairly new dell laptop they are still having issues. smh

If you change the ram to ram sticks that have xmp then they dont work either. Im glad i got this for school and gaming on the side or this thing would be sold with all the unnecessary problems it has.

No other gaming laptops have these problems but you get what you pay for. It now makes sense why all the good name brand gaming laptops with the same specs as this sell for a few hundred more. They actually work as gaming laptops

HaoDK.Shop
1 Nickel

Oh terrible , same problem .I have G7 7588 with 500GB SSD NVME Sandisk PRO 3.4GB/s and start windows with ~ 1min on DELL LOGO , while stupid my old 300$ asus laptop  boot only 7 second (included display logo) with SSD Colorful Sata3 400MB/s 😄  . 

??? What should I do ? Dell ???

Reddy Kilowatt
1 Copper

Same problem on a 7730 with a Xeon.

With TurboBoost on getting VERY hot before fans come to speed.

Checking email can run the temps into the 90s.

Running Ubuntu so don't have the Windoz options available.

PLEASE DELL, FIX THIS SOON!

0 Kudos
Magecoerlin
1 Copper

Also have this problem. Started noticing games getting FPS drops every couple of minutes to the point where I started just blowing a fan at my computer to help cool it down. Exceptionally frustrating, especially since I'm a game developer working as a contractor and need my machine to be working properly. Dell must fix this. Definitely something that would make me buy a computer from someone else.

0 Kudos
TabalugaDragon
1 Nickel

If a laptop runs too hot one can undervolt it(not just CPU, GPU undervolting lowered my GPU temps by 9 degrees C on my Dell G3 and by 5 on the CPU due to shared heatpipes), but when the laptop is loud WHILE IDLING AT LOW TEMPS one can do nothing about it. Heck, 45-60 degrees C is really low for a gaming laptop, I would like my fans to be completely inactive at that time because these are safe temps, but fans are spinning and it's super irritating. How can I fix this?
0 Kudos