Highlighted
Igor7577
1 Copper

Dell 7577 shut down on battery when using nvidia GPU Linux

Hello Guys

When i run intensive 3D games or benchmark such as Unigine Valley laptop would shut down when working on battery.

Now with BIOS version 1.2.0 problem was detected on both Windows and GNU-linux operating systems.Only difference was that Windows would run a few minutes longer than GNU-linux systems when running on battery.

Running on AC never gave any issues.

With update 1.5.0 problem seems to be fixed on Windows side of things but problem seems to persist on GNU-linux

Now this machine being officially Ubuntu supported i primarily bought the machine to use with Ubuntu or other GNU-linux derivatives.

I also performed update to most recent release 1.6.1 and problem does seems to persist.

Laptop is working normally and never shuts down with Intel iGPU

Its also working ok with dGPU until more power is needed.

Inside BIOS there is message that displays OCP error(over current protection).

Is there any workaround and is this problem reported already so Dell developers could update BIOS for Ubuntu(GNU-linux )users and solve the issue as they did for Windows users.

Thanks

2 Replies
rkent777
1 Copper

Re: Dell 7577 shut down on battery when using nvidia GPU Lin

I'm having a similar issue when running deep learning algorithms that use the GPU, these cause the machine to shut down only while on battery. I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 on the G7 7588

0 Kudos
tush_it
1 Copper

Re: Dell 7577 shut down on battery when using nvidia GPU Lin

Same issue. Under Windows with battery power GPU core and memory clocks are quite low under load. Under Ubuntu GPU clocks under load are same with AC and battery power (~3504 for mem and ~1733 for core). Checked on BIOS: 1.6.1, 1.8.0
0 Kudos