Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

80 Posts

August 18th, 2021 07:00

Dell 7706 - Clicks under load on the right side

Hi,

I had to send my Dell 7706 2in1 to replace the bezel and now I can hear clicks under high load on the right side of the laptop. It sounds like a relay that is switched on and off. It happens unsteady from 5 to 30 seconds. It seems not related to the fan as the clicks are present also before and during the fan is running. At first I thought it would control the PSU Power but it happens also if running on battery.

Before sending it in for repair I did not recognized it but perhaps I am wrong...

Any ideas what could cause such behavior before I contact support again?

Cheers,

Nils

1 Rookie

• 

80 Posts

August 19th, 2021 10:00

Hi,

I opened the laptop and everything seems fine and really nice. Only one screw was not locked tight.

I recorded the issue and it seems not happening if the laptop is open. As only the bezel is changed perhaps it has a hairline crack somewhere that makes that sound because if the temperature change under CPU load. I think I will ask Dell if they can exchange the bezel a second time...as before I never notice this...

https://readycloud.netgear.com/client/dllink.html#t=0wcevc6bkkeiect32wgxagbhce2/IMG_0994.MOV

Cheers,

Nils

1 Rookie

• 

80 Posts

October 17th, 2021 01:00

Hi,

final answer...Dell swapped my Laptop. At first...Dell support is great but it was a long story.

1. Send my Laptop in again and the depot technicans does not find anything.
  2. After getting the laptop back after 3 weeks I called support again: I can still reproduce the issue and we aligned that a technican should show up next day at my home (I owns no Pro Support for that device -  nice move...)
  3. The technican at first told me also that he never heard about such issue that are noices like a relay coming out of a laptop but I showed him. Was a nice talk and after exchanging the bezel, Fan, etc. the noice was still there. So he talked to his collegues and after a week I got a new 7706 without that problem but a malformed case.
  4. After a day another technican come and exchanged the case and the screen and now (I hope) everything is fine.

I am really happy now and how flexible the support handled it. Will stay with Dell! The second technican also knows such issue and told me that sometimes the mainboard (controller of the battery) could cause this. He could be very right as the old one (still not send back) does not switch on anymore.

Perhaps that story helps somebody to speed up the process...

Cheers,

Nils

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 18th, 2021 09:00

Yup Nailed it, Fan is on the right side. Do not ignore the issue as it can get worse. 

Machine doesn't have  any other moving component, I am assuming you have an SSD in there. 

In most cases its something blocking the Fan. Cleaning it with compressed air would be enough

Service manual 

Else simply call tech support to get Fan replaced. 

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 18th, 2021 12:00

Fan is always running, sometimes in slow speeds that it can be heard. 

Again Clicking noises can have different meanings, Since you are in front of the machine you are the best person to recognize it. 

I still believe something is interrupting the fan, In my case Dell depot rerouting fan cable incorrectly was the root cause,

I have been with dell for over 15 years and have gone through hundreds of repairs with them, I can confirm that there Depot quality check if not perfect  

1 Rookie

• 

80 Posts

August 18th, 2021 12:00

Hi,

but the fan is not running if the "clicks" first occurs. Could it be the fan then? That was my first thoughts also.... 

It's produced in 2021 and has a SSD. So the fan is the only moving part but it is independent from the fan is running or not. But it appears also without the fan moving...

Cheers,

Nils

No Events found!