Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 16th, 2019 09:00

Dell Backup and Recovery in Windows 7/10

I have an Inspiron 5558 that came with Windows 7 now upgraded to Windows 10. I made a recovery file in Windows 7 but never replaced it on the thumb drive when upgrading to 10. I recently had a startup problem and tried to use the backup key but to no avail. So, I went to the Microsoft website and got the current Windows 10 iso file and was able to get it reinstalled. Before I reinstalled windows 10, I was able to backup the files onto a SD card using Dell Backup and Recovery. But, since I reinstalled Windows I can't seem to figure out how to reinstall the backup file from the SD card. I can't see the Dell Backup and Recovery software anywhere. If I reinstall the newest version (v1.9) will that enable me to upload my backup file? I just want my data back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

January 17th, 2019 20:00

The files were saved during the Dell Backup and Recovery process in Windows 10. In the Knowledge Base article "How to create and use the Dell Recovery & Restore USB drive ", I found the solution to my problem in the following section: 

What if the files and settings I backed up are not restored?

In rare cases, the backup may not get restored to your computer. If this happens, please follow the steps below:

1. Download the Data Restore Tool for Dell Recovery & Repair.
  2. Save the "MigRestore.zip" file to the folder of your choice and unzip the file.
  3. Connect the external hard drive that contains the backup data.
  4. Double-click the MigRestore.exe to run the application.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions.

This was successful in getting my files back to their original locations. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

5.6K Posts

January 16th, 2019 19:00

@Mr. Feeny wrote:

I have an Inspiron 5558 that came with Windows 7 now upgraded to Windows 10. I made a recovery file in Windows 7 but never replaced it on the thumb drive when upgrading to 10. I recently had a startup problem and tried to use the backup key but to no avail. So, I went to the Microsoft website and got the current Windows 10 iso file and was able to get it reinstalled. Before I reinstalled windows 10, I was able to backup the files onto a SD card using Dell Backup and Recovery. But, since I reinstalled Windows I can't seem to figure out how to reinstall the backup file from the SD card. I can't see the Dell Backup and Recovery software anywhere. If I reinstall the newest version (v1.9) will that enable me to upload my backup file? I just want my data back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't bother.

Just use freeware such as Macrium Reflect or Clonezilla and create an image backup file of hard drive.

January 17th, 2019 14:00

I would but I would like to get those files off the backup. I wonder if I can use Windows Restore to get at those files?

5.6K Posts

January 17th, 2019 15:00

@Mr. Feeny wrote:

I would but I would like to get those files off the backup. I wonder if I can use Windows Restore to get at those files?

Why?

What's the point?

Support for Windows 7 is discontinued in a year's time.

January 17th, 2019 16:00

The files are documents and pictures that I would like to be able to access again.

5.6K Posts

January 17th, 2019 16:00

The only way you can get your personal files is to use DBaR to restore Windows 7 along with your files from the SD card back to your laptop.  Let's hope you created the backup correctly or your files are gone forever.

No Events found!