SirMr
1 Copper

Dell Direct Key Creator will not start from Desktop

Trying to create an USB restore&recover for my Dell Inspiron, with Win 8 that has a Critical_process_died, BSOD, keeps rebooting.  I downloaded the Direct key files on a working

HP notebook with win. 10, files extracted fine ran install and it put an Icon on the desktop.

However when I click to open it, it gives me the user account permission box again.  I say yes, box disappears and nothing happens.  Could there be a compatibility problem with creating a win8 recovery with a win10 laptop.  Thanks could not find anything relevant anywhere else.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Clintlgm
4 Beryllium

Re: Dell Direct Key Creator will not start from Desktop

I don't know about Dell Key stuff but usually, that kind of thing is for a particular computer, and not likely to work on another computer.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln179156/dell-direct-usb-key-faqs?lang=en

If you are concerned about recovery I would recommend Macrium Reflect Free, you can create a Drive/SSD Image and if needed restore it in a few minutes with all your data and software still installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wZp0P5mi4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7wUPzfOIE0

Full tutorial on how to use Macrium Reflect

- Please kudos posts you like!
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.

Inspiron 13 -7386
16GB RAM
Samxung 970 Evo 1TB SSD 2nd SSD 512 GB Hynix

Precision 3440 SFF CTO BASE, VIntel Xeon W-1250 (6 Core, 12M cache, base 3.3GHz, up to 4.7GHz) 16GB 2X8GB DDR4 2666MHz or 2933MHz (2933MHz requires Intel Core i7 or above) UDIMM Non-ECC Memory Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
0 Kudos
DELL-Cares

No response received

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, click our Dell-Cares name and send us a private message with your Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number

0 Kudos
Rogair
2 Bronze

I am having the exact same problem. I have a Dell Vostro that now will not boot after trying to do a cloud install from Dell. So I have to now create a recovery disk for it. Installed Direct Key Creator, but it won't start. Loads the permission window, then exits. I am running direct key creator on a Dell inspiron.

0 Kudos
Clintlgm
4 Beryllium

All you can do is contact Tech support, as mention earlier Macrium Reflect back up Clone and Image program even the free version work extremely reliable.

- Please kudos posts you like!
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.

Inspiron 13 -7386
16GB RAM
Samxung 970 Evo 1TB SSD 2nd SSD 512 GB Hynix

Precision 3440 SFF CTO BASE, VIntel Xeon W-1250 (6 Core, 12M cache, base 3.3GHz, up to 4.7GHz) 16GB 2X8GB DDR4 2666MHz or 2933MHz (2933MHz requires Intel Core i7 or above) UDIMM Non-ECC Memory Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
0 Kudos